Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 1 of 100 for dad of 3

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Octane79

Re: Day 1 of 100 for dad of 3

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:49 am

Still going strong in the 100 day challenge.

At the moment, all purchases and expenditure is discussed with my wife and paid by cash or by her cc.

Yesterday I went to the dentist for the first time in 4 years for a general clean and checkup. A lot of build up of plaque and tartar and it was extremely painful scraping it all off... a metaphor for my gambling none the least.

The journey continues as I reinvent myself...
    1 x
    Ila123

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:31 am

Good work @Octane79 !!

Keep it up
    1 x
    Octane79

Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

Over the half way point and no urges to date! Making changes to lifestyle and finding hobbies has been refreshing!

SBS has a 4 part doco following aussies trying to overcome their addictions

830pm tonight

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/20 ... uide:tile3
    4 x
    Octane79

Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Day 90 of 100

It will be great to get through to 100 days without gambling before the end of the year. I check in daily with the 100 day challenge App. The 90 days has coincided with me being on sick leave recovering from back surgery.

I’m feeling more strong physically and mentally and the relationship with the Mrs is slowly improving with time....

I can highly recommend the follow podcasts to listen to other people’s gambling stories and recovery strategies.

https://www.aftergambling.com/thepodcast/ (US host)

https://notadollarmore.org.au/ (AUS host)

90 days gamble free... I reflect of my past gambling behaviour everyday to ensure I never go back. I can now look at the behaviours from outside the box, I can’t believe how I was behaving when in the depths of chronic gambling.

There is light on the other side, the more people you tell, the more driven and accountable you will be to quit gambling.
    0 x
    sherpa09 (facilitator)

Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Hi Octane,

Its Sherpa09 here - one of the moderators on the forum. You've shown great strength in sharing your journey and well done on being 90 days gambling free! Well done on your efforts thus far and look forward to your future posts.

Sherpa09.
    1 x
    Octane79

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:06 pm

Well, my 100 days is up!

My last bet was Sep 11, 2020.

Thanks for the support from everyone on here! The 100 day challenge app really kept me focused on remembering why I am determined to never gamble again after hitting my rock bottom moment this year.

There are so many support services out there! I was able to access a free gambling counsellor the past 3 months but what really helped was listening to other people’s stories and sharing mine.

The hardest part is telling your closest people about your habit. The fear of being judged was always a cloud over my head but having people know will make you feel so liberated and accountable for your actions to quit. I tried so many times to quit after a big loss and doing the ‘walk of shame’ when you’ve exhausted your last cent.

This episode from the After Gambling podcast had so many points I could relate to.

A must listen if you have made the decision to quit gambling for life.
    https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/t ... 0401799296

I’ll continue my day count for a while yet... after about 60 days, you will actually feel so different and reflect on the behaviours you were exhibiting when you were heavily entranced during your gambling days...

The financial situation has been accounted for. Relationship goals with my wife are still on tender hooks but we are civil and have reconnected somewhat... reestablishing the trust is the biggest thing and will just need more time.

All the best to everyone kicking the habit!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!
    1 x
    JB-nsw

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:21 am

Well done @Octane79 , I wish you all the best for continuing to build that number well beyond 100! Thanks for sharing your story and previous posts, it helps me with my journey.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:54 am

You've done an amazing job @Octane79 !
    You are now going into 2021 free from gambling!! :D
    1 x
    Octane79

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi all!

I thought I would check in with everyone, especially while greater Sydney is in lockdown.

I’m in a much better space mentally and have not had any particular urges in 2021 to punt!

It’s coming up to 300 days gamble free.

I still keep track via the 100 day challenge app and read and support others who are trying to break the addiction of problem gambling.

For those starting the journey, the most important and hardest thing was to let your closest ones know about your gambling…

All the best to my fellow Sydney Siders in lockdown!

Stay strong!
    2 x
    Printemps

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:28 pm

heya @Octane79

That's really kind of you! I think our Sydneysiders here will appreciate the check in!

300 days is fantastic! It's great to hear you've got through 2021 with minimal urges!

Keep on keeping on! :o
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”