Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Beating the bells and whistles once and for all!

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    A new start

Beating the bells and whistles once and for all!

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:33 pm

I have gambled away a lot on the pokies, getting worst and worst progressively bigger bets to make up bigger losses. Chasing the big win which doesn’t come. This has to stop once and for all. I have tried many times before but never was I so determined, so alone and so far behind.

I’m taking a pledge to not gamble again for a 100 days and after that for more days to come.

Here we go to day 0 as I went to the pub today. Lost of course!

But this is not the end, I don’t want to hear the bells and whistles of winning the spins in my head anymore, I over it dreaming about it. I want to be me again.

I now I am an addict, I always will be addicted to the bloody things (Proben you that many times, there is no such thing for me to put in only 20 or 50 to have a “crack” at it) , but from now on I am an addict who doesn’t play the pokies.
    4 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Beating the bells and whistles once and for all!

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Hello!
    Great to hear your determination! Dust yourself and pick yourself back up. Just like any unhealthy habit it can be extremely difficult to break and can be incredibly frustrating and damaging.
    However, it is possible to change and the 100 day challenge can be a great start. Recognize your urges and also recognize what caused the lapses in the past that way you can learn form them and better prepare for the future.

Can anyone provide some insight/advice on what strategies may help?
    1 x
    A new start

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks Calvin, thanks for replying to my other post too.
    Yes I know it will be difficult, one of the main triggers is I fee I need more money. So I’m playing for the win, which rarely comes.
    I’m focusing on changing my thoughts about money. I’m unsure where it comes from, as I remember being young and trying hard to safe and feeling bad about spending, even though I didn’t grow up in a poor family. We weren’t rich but always had enough to eat.
    Now I go gambling when I have “alone” time.

Today is day one, I don’t feel very good about my past losses, and feel the shame and guilt creeping in. I know i have to go to the shops today to get supplies. I won’t be alone so gambling is not on the cards. So I am confident about it. Still I’m not happy about going I feel shameful and that everyone knows what a bad person I am and how stupid someone can be to put money down the slots.
    I’m trying to stay positive today and enjoy the sun which has just come out.

Thanks
    1 x
    A new start

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm

I have had a lot of thoughts about gambling. I don’t like it how much I think about it. But understand this is the road to change. I haven’t gambled. But it certainly has crossed my mind. I am also going through a recent breakup. This has had a lot to do what has triggered me last. Being down and on the bottom and feeling like it all doesn’t matter. Selfish really as there are so much more people around me i should think about.
    Here we are at the end of day 2, emotionally and mentally drained, so tonight I am just going to stay in. Enjoy the rare serenity and worry about the rest tomorrow.
    Hope you all stay strong in your journey.
    1 x
    gzy3

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi @A new start Congratulations on your day 2 yesterday.

It is completely normal to still think about gambling a lot at this stage. The more time passes the less you would think.
    Be gentle on yourself on this gambling free journey, do what treat yourself. A collection of each gambling free day will lead you to a better place emotionally as well.
    Keep us updated on how you are doing!
    1 x
    A new start

Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:33 pm

Going into Day 7!!
    Not gambled, thought about it a few times though, but determined to stay strong. I have been leaving my bank cards at home and only take the smallest amount of cash with me. Enough to get bread and milk if I need to or a parking ticket. I am out on the road through work a lot so constantly driving past pubs etc. to dangerous to have take my card and end up in one of the venues. I also keep reminding myself of the bad feeling when walking out and having lost to much.
    I am slowly working through some triggers and am now more happy within my own company and just going home and doing things not gambling. I even started colouring in. Helps to let the mind wonder. This weekend will be the crunch point again, as I will have a lot of time to myself without any responsibilities. The only one to myself, to stay away from those nasty machines.
    Stay strong everyone, let’s not do the gambling anymore!

Cheers!
    1 x
    Mona58

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:39 am

Well done! Keep up that great mindset!
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    A new start

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:06 pm

I’m proud to say that i am now gambling free for 16 Days!!!

The self talk about gambling has gone a lot more quite. It is still there in the background at times where I regret spending all that money over the years. I would say that’s not all bad. But moving forward. Now that all venues are closed it’s all become a bit easier, in a sense.
    When I have time on my hand now or am close to a venue, the thoughts do still cross my mind and I think about past situations how I would duck in for a crack at it. Often short on time and using every last minute I have to hope for the big win. That’s in the past and I am now able to remind myself how good it feels to be more relaxed and not have to rush between commitments because I overstayed in the venue.
    I am also better at treating myself to some things I need to buy and stopped counting every last dollar or try to save a dollar where ever I can, as before I tried to make up for losses.

Challenging times for many of us during the next few month with everything that’s going on. I feel for everyone that has lost their job and hope you are practicing a lot of self care and take a day at a time.
    2 x
    A new start

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Hope everyone is doing well over the easter weekend.
    I have been able to stay clear of gambling and am now gambling free for 28 days. :) It's been good and I have been keeping myself busy with work (glad I was able to keep my job with everything going on) and other activities, like music and art, and I am sleeping so much more now. I still get thoughts of past pokie times and have situations when I probably would have escaped to a venue in the past. Everything being closed still makes it a lot easier to not have relapse. Good practice to nut out those nasty thoughts and retrain the brain.
    I have spoken to a psych about retraining the brain and figured that even though it is hard, there is hope and in the end it will become second nature to think different and have other coping strategies.
    Well certainly looking forward to the time pokies will be well and truly in the past for me.

Stay strong everyone. and Happy Easter.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Great to hear the positive things that are happening for you! keep up the great work! :)
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”