Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Bring on 2020. Let’s do this

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    BrisbaneLad

Bring on 2020. Let’s do this

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:02 am

42 yo male here. And here we are again. I have lost so so much to this disease it’s not even easy admitting it. It’s my blanket, my go to. Recently lost a **** load, and the usual- borrowed etc. which will all need to be paid back in the next 12 months.

I am heartened by all your stories on here. I’m currently sitting here Day 1. Of course feeling positive , and strong. I have $600 in my wallet right now, and am damned if a cent is going into a machine or across the table.

Day 1 is always easy as is the first 2-3. Here’s to everyone who wants to start the year a fresh. If love to hear from you and support one another into 2020 and kick the **** out of this horrible thing that plagues us.
    3 x
    TimTam

Re: Bring on 2020. Let’s do this

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:01 pm

I love the spirit and determination @BrisbaneLad !
    Coming into 2020 with a good set of goals and a plan in place can make it a better year for you.
    Do you have any concrete plans on how you will get past day 2-3? How will you protect the money you currently have?
    Stay strong @BrisbaneLad you can do this!

Tim Tam
    2 x
    BrisbaneLad

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks @TimTam , apprecIate that support. To be honest, I just went down to the ATM and banked it and paid bills less $100 to keep me going to next pay day.

My plan is to try and keep busy and just hang out with people rather than isolating myself as I’ve been doing for so so long now. Happy for any other suggestions :)
    1 x
    TimTam

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:40 pm

That is really great @BrisbaneLad ! Paying off small bills can feel like a weight has been lifted.
    Keeping busy is a really good strategy. It's a time when you can get back into doing the things you love and maybe stopped doing because of gambling.
    Not sure if you have had a look at this thread yet, but has heaps of ideas on what to do to keep you distracted. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34
    Other important things you can try are:
    - Keeping your money safe, try limit your access to any money as it can be a trigger
    - Relax – take deep breaths; tell yourself to slow down and relax
    - When you have those urges to gamble, sit with the feelings until they pass and do not give in (yes will be uncomfortable). The more times you can successfully do this the less you are “feeding” the urge.
    think about your urge as being like a wave in the ocean. It builds to a peak and then it just fades away. Just like you can surf real waves in the ocean, so too you can learn to surf your gambling urges. You can see yourself as someone who learns to master your urge and to ride it, rather than being swamped by it and dumped into the ocean. With practice, just like in real surfing, you will become very skilled at seeing the urge coming and knowing how to ride it until it fades away.
    - Remember the negative effects of gambling. When experiencing a gambling urge, it is very common to imagine only the positive effects of gambling (e.g. your first big win). In this situation, you can deal with your urge by replacing these positive memories with some of your negative images and memories of gambling.

Hope that helps,
    Wishing you well
    3 x
    BrisbaneLad

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks again @TimTam. Day one done and dusted and onto day 2.
    Took myself out for breakfast this morning. Read the paper and had a coffee. Been a while since I’ve done that.. thanks for those suggestions to, and the links. They’ve given me some good food for thought!

Anyone else using 2020 as a trigger to kick this thing? I hate New Years resolutions, so that’s why I’ve decided to start on a random date. 1.5 down, 98.5 to go to reach the 100!

Thanks and love.
    1 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:06 pm

hi @BrisbaneLad

Enjoying normal things is a good sign you are getting back on track, well done and have a good 2020!

Regards
    dragon007
    0 x
    BrisbaneLad

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 am

Thank you so much for the support @dragon007 (facilitator) . I truly appreciate it. Danger day today. Pay Day. Day 3. I sat in bed and transferred 85% to bills and this I owe money to. Feels strange and scary. But it’s done now 🤷🏽‍♂️
    3 x
    How the F did I get here

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Hey Brisbane lad,

I am def using 2020 to kick this.
    After going off the rails and having to do all afterpays for xmas I am certainly done.

Funnily enough I've started engaging more in a few fb groups I'm in ( one particular one has social gatherings), even dating type apps (more for enmntertainment and banter than dating) and it seems to be keeping me occupied and entertained. And making me sort of look forward to getting out there and making friends and enjoying nights out, as I don't really have to social circle.
    I think my main problem is social isolation, so I've decided to put myself out there more to make social connections.

I wish you lots of luck with your efforts to not gamble. I sure as hell know I don't want another year of gambling!
    2 x
    BrisbaneLad

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:00 am

Thanks so much @How the F did I get here . This forum is so good to know not alone.
    What’s the Facebook groups you’ve joined? I’d be keen to check it out, as social exclusion is something that resonates also with me.. Day 4 and still staying strong and pushing through the thoughts of wanting to go.

I’m so determined to kick it this time, I can see the tiniest light at the end of the tunnel and just keep focussing on it. Something novel- 24 hours after payday and I still have money in my account. I’m taking this as the tiniest win.

Steering well clear of George St let me tell you ;)

Wishing you all the success in this conquest in 2020. Let’s do this!
    2 x
    gzy3

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi @BrisbaneLad , I am one of moderators on this forum.

I am so glad hearing you are doing very well on Day 4.
    Even though it is the tiniest win you said, I think success is nothing more than an accumulation of every day's tiny successes, and you have been earning these every day, which is powerful.
    I can hear your strong determination and see the tinny but persistent and growing light of the end of tunnel.
    Keep us updated how you are doing on your gambling free journey.

Have a great day and happy new year!

gzy3
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”