Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Cocoon's 100 Day challenge

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Cocoon

Cocoon's 100 Day challenge

Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 am

Today is the 11th November 2019,
    I've tried to write this a million times. I don't think I know how to say what I really want to say. I have a lot of trouble sharing and it's scary as hell.

In the past couple of days, I've hit rock bottom.
    I have gambled my entire savings away, but gambling went much further than money for me.
    Once the money was gone, I gambled myself away too. Trying to get back to where I was, chasing my loses.
    I never realised it was so bad until this weekend gone.
    My moment of clarity was when my hands were up against my front window, being charged by the police for stealing. I realised that once the money was gone, I'd sell something to get money to gamble. When I didn't have anything to sell, I'd steal something to sell to get money. And I realised that I have been literally upping the stakes with gambling, from money all the way through to my life as I knew it. I literally gambled my life away.

The first step to overcoming something is to realise it is a problem. I realised just how serious my problem is. I wish I'd realised it earlier but, I didn't. Now I'm taking steps to come to terms with everything and I'm seeking help.

Today is the start on my monumental 100 Day Challenge. I have no idea what is in store for me. But I'll wake up everyday with change on my mind.

This is Day 1
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Cocoon's 100 Day challenge

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:27 am

Hi @Cocoon

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here. Welcome to the forums!
    Thankyou so much for sharing your experience on such a public platform (yes it can be quite scary) it takes a lot of courage to do so.
    I think you'll find the forums to be a great place for receiving advice and support from other members and also providing advice and support to others.

I understand the gambling habit itself can be quite stressful and the effects can be damaging. However the important thing is, is that you have willingly chosen to admit and acknowledge it as an issue and you sound quite determined to make the necessary changes. It does take some time. In the meantime think of other activities that you genuinely enjoy without the added stress that gambling had given you.
    If you want further support you can contact our helpline on 1800 858 858 to speak with a gambling counsellor and we can provide you with a referral to either a face to face gambling counsellor or financial counsellor.

One step at a time is key. Be patient and kind to yourself most of all.
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi @Cocoon,

Welcome! You are in a good place. We all understand what you are going through here. You will get lot's of support here.

I recommend you to read threads of peoples personal experiences, this somehow helps somewhat.
    You will see how similar our experiences are!

Rock bottom is a chance to rebuild yourself, you can only go up!
    Definitely try to stay on the right side of the law, you definitely don't want anymore criminal things against your name.

Blown all your saving? That's definitely something 95% of us in here can relate to.
    Money comes and goes, buckle down and you will be more financially stable.
    Forget about the money that you've blown it's gone for good, but you have an oppertunity to start to save again.

Things may seem **** atm which I'm sure they are, but they could be ****!

"But I'll wake up everyday with change on my mind."

That's pretty much me and my advice to everyone also.
    No matter how many times I stuff up, I go to bed every night with the intention to do better the next day.

Never quit trying to quit!

All the best! You can do it.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Some helpful insights there!!

How are things going for you @Cocoon havent heard much from you lately?
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”