Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • The Big Red

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    OMG Adzy

The Big Red

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:11 am

Hi My name's Adam I'm 32 years old and I'm a pokie addict - Ever since I was 18 when I won $1900 on the Superbucks machine I've been hooked - Have lost friends and relationships and have probably out in excess of $500,000 (Including the wins) through the machines

I only play $5 per spin and it has hurt me - The lights lure me in the drinks the people you meet down there at the venue it's all a fake perception of reality, people want to know how you win? You win by not going that's how you win! The money you make per week is the win .... Gambling it away is the loss - Even if you do win a Cheque your still going to wait until it clears and chase the victory - Its a vicious circle that can and will destroy your life if you let it!!!

I was 8 months clean and one day I had the urge and I've been playing now for the last 3 months and have spent over 20,000 I'm disgusted in myself and not sure where to turn - My family and friends all still think I've quit

I've started a successful business and I'm spending the profits and it's stressful.... I tell myself that if I spend 1000 tonight I make it back in 2 days anyway with the next jobs profits so what's it matter?

How do I get rid of this thought pattern?

I'm putting myself back on the self exclusion list tommorow and I can't wait

I never win back the 500,000 I've lost however the trials and tribulations throughout my journey have helped to shape and mould my character into who I am today... If your out there don't give up! In the end the machines will always win .... Having a win is only ever borrowed money it's never yours to keep EVER

Thanks for listening to my story

Cheers
    4 x
    Frank321

Re: The Big Red

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:04 am

Well said mate and all the best.
    You're right about not knowing who to turn to.
    My family would be disgusted if they knew the money I have blown on the pokies.
    I'm knew to this site and have only recently committed to - seriously - quitting.. reading your post and others has made me realise I am not alone and it's achievable to quit.

I'm 29 and In a similiar position
    I'll touch base here every so often to see how you are going
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: The Big Red

Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello @OMG Adzy

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on the forums.
    Good on you for reaching out, I understand it can be a struggle to overcome the gambling habit.
    8 months of no gambling is fantastic. Sometimes people do lapse back into it, this is why its important to have a look at what brought on the lapse, what urges you experienced. That way you can better recognize them and eventually prevent them from encouraging the gambling habit.
    Urges are temporary and don't last long. So next time they come along it may be helpful to ask yourself the question of is it worth me satisfying this temporary urge for a longer lasting feeling of misery, hurt, anger, frustration? etc.
    Find different activities you find enjoyable.
    What you said about no longer winning and not winning back all the money that has been spent overtime is 100% correct. So gambling turns into this grueling cycle of just putting money into the machines with no desired outcome.

There is help out there, self-exclusion is a great way to start, I'd also encourage you to possibly see a gambling counsellor for some ongoing support. All our counselling services are free, you can chat to a counsellor via webchat or telephone on 1800 858 858 for some immediate support and a referral.

Good on you again for using the forums.

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”