Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • No Contact with the Ex (Gambling) for at least 100 days

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    spentitallagain

Re: No Contact with the Ex (Gambling) for at least 100 days

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:53 am

Day 64 today, but I just want to gamble so badly.. fml!!! Just have to stay strong, control the urges!
    2 x
    spentitallagain

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Day 67 today, also starting to try and quit the social smoking as well, have bought some quit patches and gum!

Going well, had some urges yesterday, I was going to put $2000 on a horse, but stopped the car called the hotline and got chatting to a councillor and was able to avoid it. The horse won.. but chances are I would've re-bet those winnings anyway. I am still satisfied that I didn't gamble!

It's really hard, I do want to gamble sometimes but I know that once I start it'll manifest into an addiction again...
    2 x
    zackawadz

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Well done you are the winner now , unfortunately the horse isn’t free to run on his own accord , he wouldn’t be a race if he had his option . Do not think you are being deprived because you are not gambling , if you do gamble you are depriving yourself . You are not a gambler anymore nor am I .
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:06 am

@spentitallagain that's so fantastic - so glad the helpline was able to help. You must be so proud of yourself for choosing to take a positive step for yourself in that moment!

How are you doing this week?

@zackawadz i love this " You are not a gambler anymore nor am I " - really powerful reidentification
    2 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    spentitallagain

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:24 am

Thought I'd bump this, over a year ago I started this journey... although I didn't post for a while

I had a relapse after 70 odd days since my last post...

But I am proud to admit that today was day 100...

David Schwarz's YouTube videos have been incredibly helpful for me.. you can quit, I am an all in personality and my last bet was Sunday May 3rd

I hope to never bet again, after a bit of a repair of my credit rating hope to buy a house by the end of the year. Debts gone.. Relationships still under repair... Still a long way to go
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50 am

Hi @spentitallagain ,

Congratulations on reaching 100 days, keep up the great work!
    I'm glad to hear that you are taking the necessary steps to reach your goals! :)

What other strategies helped you along the way? :)
    0 x
    Bluetack2

Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:27 am

spentitallagain wrote:
    Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:24 am
    Thought I'd bump this, over a year ago I started this journey... although I didn't post for a while

I had a relapse after 70 odd days since my last post...

But I am proud to admit that today was day 100...

David Schwarz's YouTube videos have been incredibly helpful for me.. you can quit, I am an all in personality and my last bet was Sunday May 3rd

I hope to never bet again, after a bit of a repair of my credit rating hope to buy a house by the end of the year. Debts gone.. Relationships still under repair... Still a long way to go
    Well done mate! Reading through your thread was inspirational. My situation is similar to yours, so I’ve got a few questions about how you’ve pulled through if you don’t mind me asking.

- Do you still have a passion for horse racing and allow yourself to watch races without betting? Like you said on page one, I’ve also developed a passion for it - used to spend hours reading articles, studying form and whatnot - but I’m not sure whether that’s because I’ve associated it with the “reward” of gambling. It’s tough as well when my friends and old man all love races/punting. It can be really enjoyable.

- If you do watch races, do you find it tough to refrain from betting? Personally if I’m just watching and a horse I would’ve backed gets up, I’m filthy with myself for “missing out” by not trusting myself and backing it. Of course not factoring in the others that lost.

- I saw in one of your posts you said you felt like putting 2 grand on a horse. I’ve been flirting with the idea of whacking 5 grand or so on something at shortish odds to win back past losses even though I know it’s dumb and could be back to square one again with no savings.

- How did you move past your losses and overcome the urge to bet big? I’ve self-excluded/taken a break from countless online bookies and have a gambling block on my bank but if I really tried I’ve got no doubt I could get around that.

Day 38 without gambling for me - you’ve inspired me to keep going. My goal is also to buy a house - what a great achievement it’ll be when you do it later this year!
    1 x
    spentitallagain

Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:29 am

If I am being honest mate, you need to remember the date. For me 3rd May 2020.

It's 100 percent ego.. I enjoyed the pub, a fair few schooners deep, listening to INXS etc. with my mates....It then became myself on multiple nights til late.

I remember being with my mates after being on the 100 day challenge.. They are all having a ball putting punts on anything that ran,.no doubt deep down they are gambling addicts also.. putting a 500-600 on a greyhound and being jealous. Why am I jealous??

An addictive personality takes pride in being the best, whether it is gambling, drinking beers, earning the most money, taking home the hottest girl etc.

I used to study the form, listen to radioTAB get the tips, get tips of mates.. it seems like easy money!

I enjoyed the numbers, I enjoyed the odds flashing on the screen after I'd won knowing I'd put a few hundred on it, even the sound of scanning my ticket at the terminal at the TAB and the winnings popping up not screen.

I ain't out of the woods yet, but know that you're probably the person/personality that doesn't leave a stone unturned in anything that you do and you have heaps of pride.. But people don't respect you for the big wins..

People respect people that are accountable and hold themselves to what their goals are.
    0 x
    spentitallagain

Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:31 am

FYI for ages I was watching Racing.com on a Sunday and would bet then... but I had to keep it off after that. Even my car radio on 1008 radio tab, it would just fuel my urges
    1 x
    Bluetack2

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:45 pm

spentitallagain wrote:
    Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:29 am
    If I am being honest mate, you need to remember the date. For me 3rd May 2020.

It's 100 percent ego.. I enjoyed the pub, a fair few schooners deep, listening to INXS etc. with my mates....It then became myself on multiple nights til late.

I remember being with my mates after being on the 100 day challenge.. They are all having a ball putting punts on anything that ran,.no doubt deep down they are gambling addicts also.. putting a 500-600 on a greyhound and being jealous. Why am I jealous??

An addictive personality takes pride in being the best, whether it is gambling, drinking beers, earning the most money, taking home the hottest girl etc.

I used to study the form, listen to radioTAB get the tips, get tips of mates.. it seems like easy money!

I enjoyed the numbers, I enjoyed the odds flashing on the screen after I'd won knowing I'd put a few hundred on it, even the sound of scanning my ticket at the terminal at the TAB and the winnings popping up not screen.

I ain't out of the woods yet, but know that you're probably the person/personality that doesn't leave a stone unturned in anything that you do and you have heaps of pride.. But people don't respect you for the big wins..

People respect people that are accountable and hold themselves to what their goals are.
    Wow - had never thought about it like that mate but you’re absolutely right that ego plays huge part when friends are involved. That and the feeling of “missing out” when mates are having fun and seemingly winning - but as you pointed out they likely have their own issues and as we know it’s almost impossible to win long-term.

Great message mate, cheers. Out of interest, have you taken up a hobby or anything that has replaced gambling? Or are you still doing the same things, going to the pub with mates etc, but just being determined to stick to your goals? Keep it up
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”