Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • No Contact with the Ex (Gambling) for at least 100 days

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    spentitallagain

No Contact with the Ex (Gambling) for at least 100 days

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:18 am

Hi guys,

Just got inspired from JC's post,

I have just made it through Day 2.... It's been easy to make it through a couple of days because of having no money in the account... I will get my tax return in a couple of days and it is the weekend coming up which is going to be a significant challenge for me,,,,

I too bet heavily on horse racing and sports betting.... It's just so hard, I just wish I could do it without the stress of getting immersed into the cycle.... I have developed a love and passion for horse racing, I don't know whether it is the gambling mind telling me this or I actually have fallen in love with the sport.. However, wash down a couple of beers and I am betting on the Greyhounds over in the UK, so I have to weigh up is it important to me?

I had been going very well, paid back some significant debts, self excluded from a lot of apps, bought a car...

However one slip up about a month and a half ago, has had me back borrowing money from Mum, taking out short term loans and living off two minute noodles..

I don't want to be like this forever, I don't wanted to be haunted by this gambling urge, I have watched youtube videos of AFL players and it is all too similar for myself.....Trying to turn $5 into enough money to pay rent... I shouldn't have to worry about this, I have a great, well paying job and heaps of good mates who are itching to hang out...

I am really worried about this weekend and when I receive the tax return..... Just made it through Day 2.

PLEASE DON'T SLIP UP....
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: No Contact with the Ex (Gambling) for at least 100 days

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:54 am

Hi @spentitallagain ,

Sounds like you are well aware of how toxic gambling is to your life at the moment and in general.

Slip ups are normal and common, although we want to prevent them as much as we can..its important to learn and grow from them, asking yourself how that slip up happened..what were you feeling..what can you do next time when you recognise that feeling coming up again.

Remember the money you get from working is garanteed money, you know that theres a certain amount coming to you when you work a certain amount of hours. However, its easy to fall into that deceiving belief that gambling is an extra form of income. It would only take away your hard earned money through working. Which can be tiresome.

Think of different activities you might enjoy..is there someone close to you that can manage your account? Call the helpline whenever you feel you have an urge 1800 858 858
    3 x
    spentitallagain

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks so much Calvin,

Day 3 for me, still haven't gambled, can't stop thinking about it though.... I still haven't received the tax return.... So I am flat broke still, hating life.

I just feel like I want to wash down a cold schooner of beer and put on a few bets down at the pub... It's such a horrible urge I have...
    2 x
    gzy3

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:24 am

Hi @spentitallagain

It seems it has been a bit hard to stop thinking about gambling right now. How would you like to spend your tax return on, instead of gambling? You did very well in the past - paying back debts, buying a new car - which is great.
    What do you think will be helpful to do when a urge comes up?
    Urges are a normal and expected part of the change process. Like any other thought that comes into your mind, they will go away, they are temporary.

I can sense that you are very aware that your gambling is a form of a bit of comfort or escapism and it won't give you good feelings in a long term.
    Great that you have made through Day 3. You are on a right track, keep on going!
    Looking forward to hearing your progress here.

gzy3
    1 x
    spentitallagain

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:49 pm

Okay so the tax return went after a weekend bender..

However, I started the 100 day challenge again last Monday..

Just got through day 6, urges are slowly starting to subside!
    2 x
    spentitallagain

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Day 7

Very hard with the Brownlow medal on tonight... Was going to back Patty Cripps to win at $11 and he will probably win but I am glad I didn't... The sportsbet ads are making it really hard. I am proud that I have had the willpower to not bet..
    1 x
    spentitallagain

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:45 pm

Day 8 down, feeling pretty good, going nice and strong, thoughts are starting to fade
    3 x
    spentitallagain

Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:47 pm

Day 9 done and dusted today, small urges here and there but overall another good day.

My monthly pay day in four days now, can't wait!
    2 x
    Chunkyquitter

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:08 pm

Good news is you wouldn’t have done your money on the brownlow
    1 x
    Chunkyquitter

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:09 pm

Stick with the gambling abstinence though. To quote Forrest Griffin “the juice is worth the squeeze”
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”