Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesday from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Here's to a new start :)

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    3slayer20

Here's to a new start :)

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:55 am

Hello,
    My name is Cameron, I'm 23, 24 in September. I have been gambling since the age of 18. When I started it wasn't bad, well until I got my first big win it wasn't bad. I had lots of friends. I had gone out for a best friend's birthday, it was just me and him. I didn't have any money and he had about 500. He one a little and handed me a 50. During this time my only source of income was centrelink. 440 a fortnight. About 2 hours in and I hit a big feature and was sitting at 2200. He then played the machine next to mine and he too was on 2000. We walked out the next morning at 4am. Deposited our money into our bank accounts and that was that, I was then hooked. Fast forward 5 years, and here I am, 2 beautiful girls, 1 is 1.5 years old and the other 4 months, I'm 3rd in charge at a retail store which id only started in October 2018. This may seem like a happy story but that's just what most people see as until now I havnt faced my problem and have only told the happy parts of my life. Tax time is coming up and as I've never lodged tax I'm expecting a big payout of at least 3000. I'm scared I'm going to blow it. There is about 4 installments as I've done the last 8 year's worth of tax. 8, 64, 367 and 3000. I have received the smaller amounts, which went to centrelink debt. Except for 180 from the 367. I was paid from work tuesday, and after telling my girlfriend I was going out to buy some things, wasted roughly 350 of my 800 pay, the 450 left over was spent before I went out on smokes, fuel and bills just so I wouldn't do what I've done so many times in the past which was blow the whole thing. So having no money and lying to my girlfriend about having 100 left for stuff I was buying, my 180 tax went in last night, and without thinking twice, it was taken by my addiction. Once I'd gotten home this morning, I sat In the driveway and really thought hard about what I was doing. And that's when I realised I don't think I can trust myself once this tax goes in. So I started researching and found this site. After reading a post this morning about the 100 day challenge, I felt I had to give it a go. I want to change for the good, and I want to be able to afford to but things for my 2 girls and my girlfriend, or at least have something to show for working so hard. I'll try and message everyday about my progress, as I've added a shortcut to my home screen. Thanks everyone of those that have read my short portion of my life, and here is to a new start. :)
    2 x
    3slayer20

Re: Here's to a new start :)

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:57 am

Day 1.
    I start work at 230 so it shouldn't be to hard to resist the urge as I don't have money and I'm in charge of the store tonight. I havnt really had the urge to gamble since last night when I went.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”