Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • New to the forums

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Azlan

New to the forums

Sat May 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi all, I have decided to take the 100 day challenge, starting today. No more pokies for me!
    I thought something that may help me stay strong and motivated was to introduce myself on the forums, so hi!
    If anyone has any helpful tips then feel free to share
    3 x
    Mona58

Re: New to the forums

Sat May 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi Azian

Welcome to the forums.

One tip = read other people's posts

Two = stay strong! no matter what happens DONT let the demon get the better of you! ... each urge you overcome will weaken it.

Three = enjoy the gamble free life! keep yourself busy. Exercise, walk ... eat well

All the best on your journey!

Mona
    2 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Azlan

Sun May 19, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks for the tips Mona :D
    So far so good, on day two. But I think the real test will be on pay day. I just get an urge after work to go to the pub. I need to learn to be aware, and make sure I go home before I can cause any damage.
    It will be a learning curve, I hope I can stay strong.
    One thing that I have found is helping, I have started an online journal. It is helping me to get my thoughts in order more so maybe that will help me to resist an urge.
    I am hoping if I feel an urge, I can look back to a journal entry where I have had a bad experience and remember how I felt at that time.
    It may help me to remember all that I have lost from this horrible addiction, and spur me to make that positive change in my life instead of making the same mistake over and over again.
    2 x
    Mona58

Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 am

Hi

Maybe you can go elsewhere like to a cafe treat' yourself to a nice cuppa and snack... shop for a new dress or whatever takes your fancy.

Drive home a different way can work it helps the "awareness" aspect,

Making changes is an important part of recovery.

stay Strong! One day at a time!

Mona
    2 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon May 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Welcome to the forums @Azlan

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators on the forums.

So good to hear that you've taken the initiative to sign up to the 100 day Challenge. It can feel quite overwhelming or scary at first, but as @Mona58 said, each time you overcome an urge the easier it becomes.

Try to remain patient with yourself because it is a process.

Using a journal is great strategy to use it can be quite helpful along the way. Well done.

Kind regards,

Calvin .
    2 x
    Azlan

Tue May 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks @Mona58 more great advice.
    Although being a guy, I may decide for something other than a dress, even if it would make my legs look IN-CREDIBLE!!!

I will be starting to try to exercise tonight, I will have to start slowly, as I am super out of shape, but all good things take time. If there was an easy solution then the outcome would not be as satisfying I guess.

@Calvin (facilitator) Thank you for the welcome. I am hoping that keeping an active imprint on the forums too may help keep me, and potentially others motivated to stick to the challenge.

I am particularly interested in self-exclusion as suggested by a councillor online, but have been unable to get in contact with one from Mission Australia. Every time I call I get transferred to the councillors voicemail and I havent received a call back over the past 2 days.

Do you know of any other ways I can mass self exclude? I dont want to have to visit the numerous bars in my work/home area as it will take forever :eek:
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am

Hi @Azlan thats unfortunate, there are other agencies you can get in contact with as well if you still don't hear back from that agency. I will send you a private message.
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”