Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Back here to do 100 days.

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    M_4567

Back here to do 100 days.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I am here to do 100 days gamble free. I have had success using this forum in the past, so I thought I would share where I am at. I also get inspired through others and appreciate the insight and helping others too. I think I posted here in 2015 or so... and I have rarely gambled since then.

I had one 5k loss in 2017 over a month period. I probably made a few small bets when attending horse races and was happy to lose $10 per race, which I wouldn't even count as gambling.

This year I was out pretty late and drunk and gambled once with a friend and lost $400 on Roulette. I didn't think much of it, but it still annoyed me. In the last week I have lost $5k - sportsbetting. I had multiple chances to cash out at various times at various losses and profits but didn't. I could have also kept betting and deposited more, but my internal limit was $5k. I am glad I had this stop loss, although it still impacts my situation - and ****, I'd love to go back in time and cash out up.

I am pretty sure I thought gambling was a good idea because I felt like it would detract my attention from overanalysing some negative thoughts/situations. Gambling is exciting, a challenge, high risk/reward, etc.
    I guess we all know why we do it in those moments of weakness, but I need to get better at sitting with negative emotions, knowing that they will pass. Also, remind myself, gambling (high risk) is never a good idea or the answer.

Here are three factors which need my attention:
    I found a sports bettor which I haven't used before. Since self-excluded.
    My credit card company allows gambling transactions. (Tricky one... I am not willing to forego my financial flexibility just yet and credit cards are very convenient, but this may need future consideration).
    I had money accessible in an offset account: Is my money ever safe if I can access it so easily? In the past, I have moved my money to a different bank account which takes time to access. I will need to assess this in the future.

The above three things are issues I need to look into, especially if I relapse in this 100 days. But the bigger issue is... why did I say to myself "It is okay, just bet 1000" then "it is okay, just bet 2000 more", "it is okay, just 2000 more".... this justification to chase really concerns me and reminds me that gambling is always a dangerous beast not to be taken lightly.

Anyway... despite feeling 'hard done by', and losing my money in 'tough beats'...I understand that eventually, all paths lead to 0.00. All of the positives don't transcend the final losses and frustrating feeling of being stuck for the money you'd rather have.

My goal is to go 100 days without gambling.
    Post here a little bit to update.
    Then move into not gambling for the rest of 2019.

Thanks for reading, good luck with your situation.
    3 x
    M_4567

Re: Back here to do 100 days.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Update. Have not gambled.
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Wed May 01, 2019 10:50 am

Welcome back @M_4567 and thank you for sharing your update.

It's so great to hear that you've had such success in the past! I hope this gives you strength and belief in yourself!

It sounds like you have some fantastic self awareness and are doing some really powerful reflection. Keep checking in, I'm really interested to hear how things are going for you and what's working for you.

BrittV, community manager
    2 x
    M_4567

Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Thank you, Britt. It has been a journey which continues to the present moment.

Update: Still going strong.
    4 x
    M_4567

Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Still going gamble free. No desires or urges. Some different anxiety about not wanting this to happen again so it is important to keep this vision in my mind and to stay in the moment and make positive choices.
    4 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon May 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Really admiring the motivation and determination you're showinbg @M_4567

Keep it up!

How many days has it been??
    1 x
    M_4567

Thu May 23, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks Calvin.
    Still going on the streak. I am unsure of the total. Maybe a month now. The goal here is realistically to get to the end of the year. So you will see if that can be achieved based on my updates. Cheers.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu May 23, 2019 11:59 am

Good on you @M_4567

Patience is key, keep track of all the positive changes you've noticed in your life since giving up gambling, just to act as a reminder if you come across a day where you feel more vulnerable than other days.

Keep it up :)

Calvin
    1 x
    M_4567

Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks. You are right, maybe writing a list of achievements out, the top 10 could serve as a good activity to refresh how far I have come on the journey. I will do that now and know I can revisit it.

Still going well.
    2 x
    M_4567

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:30 am

Still going well. Nothing to report.
    3 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”