Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Day ONE for me!

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Tilney

Day ONE for me!

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:00 am

I believe I’ve had an epiphany. I’m hoping I have anyway.

I just went for first full 24 hours of not playing the pokies! 24 hours ago I found this forum. I’m determined to make it 48 hours and then 60hours etc etc! I badly want to get to 100 days. I need something to be proud of, I’ve lost so much the past 5+ years.

This forum is my lifeline. I may need help guys x
    4 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Day ONE for me!

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:44 am

Hello @Tilney ,

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on GH Online.

Really good to hear that you are ready to take action and to put a stop to the gambling.

Its great that you have started with small goals to begin with, that way you can work yourself to long term goals like the 100 day challenge.

Every bit counts, most of all be patient with yourself.

The key is to manage your urges as you go along. Think of different activities that can keep you busy.

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    2 x
    Mona58

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:48 am

ONE day at a time!

One day is one of the strongest methods of getting through the day... even an hour at a time would work to get through a urge / temptation. Do something for the hour... often you'd find the hour has magically turned the whole day around.

As you would have picked up from Ka' Ching... we need to over power the grip the machine had on us.

stay Strong

Mona.
    2 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Tilney

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Thank you so much, Calivin and Mona! I love the idea of one hour at a time! It really helps to just chip away at it slowly.

I really have waves of urges, I’m trying to settle them constantly. I live so close to so many establishments and just walking past them is like hell.. damn NSW and their bloody pokies!! They should be illegal!!
    3 x
    How the F did I get here

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi @Tilney

Welcome and well done on making the first step. 24 hours is a fantastic start, and yes not only the days but the hours count big time.

You will definitely find the help and support you are after here.
    Just coming on here reading everyone else's posts helps big time. I guess reading everyone else's story reinforces the want to not ever gamble again. Just the pure devastation gambling has caused us all. And we relate so well to most of what each other posts.

Also the support and encouragement everyone gives is so helpful. It's easy when **** gets hard to just want to throw the towel in, not many if any in our outside life know the difficulties we are going through, but people here get us and are our own lil cheer squad if you will.
    I know I'm rooting for everyone on here.

Anyway well done, if you want it bad enough you get it, put up the fight and keep pushing! If you mess up, forget it move on and start again.
    All the best you can do it! X
    T
    2 x
    Tilney

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:40 pm

Thanks so much. You’ve made some really encouraging points. This site has become a big go to for me, it’s good to see notifications just to remind you. I kept busy tonight with a mate and was able to distract myself.

Day three tomorrow, first time I’ve been able to say that for a long time 🤞🏻🤞🏻
    2 x
    How the F did I get here

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 pm

@Tilney .
    Good on you!! It seems daunting at first, but the days pass quickly enough. I go back through my thread every so often, just to see my 1st post and the progression of making it to day 7, day 20, day 50, day 70 or whatever, and so on. I'm currently day 94, and 100 seemed so far away at the start but now the days come and go quite swiftly.

You sound really confident that you want to make the change. Keep that positivity.
    Keeping busy that's also great! Great that you are doing it now.

It's so true it's like saying good bye to your best friend, it's so hard! The worst possible friend in the world but you get my drift.

I am still coming on here quite often, I don't ever want to go back, the heartbreak and devestation I have experienced these past few years has wreaked havoc on my mind, and I feel atm I need to be reminded why.

Yes I've lost **** loads of money, and after finding all my old statements recently I came to realise I had lost a lot more than I thought. Yes I will never get that back, but I will have money in the future If I stay away, it's my mind that is more important than money, I can't afford to damage it anymore.

🙂
    3 x
    Tilney

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! Day 3 today! Feels crazy to be able to say that. I’ve walked past the pokies many times and have had to talk to myself until I’m safely past. It feels good to walk straight past them and not head inside.

It was really inspiring to read your story, i’m jealous of how many days you have ticked off already! I think the next week will be a test but if I can just keep thinking straight and go hour by hour, I think I’ll be able to get to a week and then hopefully it becomes easier. I really want to be able to say I’ve got to 100 days, the amount of money I should be able to save will be huge, considering I was averaging about 300 a day in there for as long as I can remember.. sometimes winning but always spending it.

I often think about the day where I’d lost everything but my last twenty, I put it in and did four 5 dollar spins, I ended up getting 3.5k back... I was so relieved and figured I was back on track financially...stupidly, I went to 10 dollar spins and before I knew it, I had nothing again.. all gone... dam I regret those decisions. I could do with that money now.. rock bottom has me being broke for at least a couple of weeks until I can start to build a foundation again.

I’m checking this forum 5 times a day to keep me focussed :)
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 am

@Tilney
    I also am checking here multiple times a day to keep me on track. I did in suggestions recomend to Britt I think it was, that a instant message option would be great, as sometimes the forum can be inactive at times.

Feel free to private message me if you want, I'm happy to give you some daily encouragement if the forum is quiet!
    2 x
    Tilney

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:21 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate it. Can’t believe somehow I’ve gotten to day 4. There’s been so many opportunities for me to walk in there and spend my last 50 bucks. It feels like I get energy every time I don’t go in there. This forum and that ka Ching doco are my saviour at the moment, listening to those mathematicians explain the pokies system made me think what an idiot I’ve been.

Bit worried that I’m feeling too confident.. sort of waiting for something to f*#k up 🤞🏻
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”