Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Chunkyquitter is back. New 100 day challenge for me.

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Chunkyquitter

Chunkyquitter is back. New 100 day challenge for me.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi all,

I’m back, hopefully stopping before financial ruin.

Last time I had a pretty good run at not being a gambler. I’m about to get back surgery and the cost are $30k out of pocket. I think this was the trigger that sent me on a punting rampage for the last 6 months. I’ve lost that $30k multiple times.

Anyway here’s to feeling good about quitting again.

Let’s do this
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Chunkyquitter is back. New 100 day challenge for me.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:09 am

Goodluck with the surgery and glad to hear you are motivated!!
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:17 pm

@Chunkyquitter

Good you are back. Not good you have fallen off but good you are not quitting at giving up. Awesome effort just to come back here when you know you are going downhill again.
    The days will quickly pass again if you resist. Don't come back to the nightmare

You have done it before, so just do it again.
    Good luck with your surgery!!
    1 x
    Chunkyquitter

Thu May 02, 2019 7:48 am

Alright technically my 100 days start today. Finally actually excluded myself from my online bookmaker, I just kept that dream alive for the last few weeks trying to have another really big win then stop.(as if that ever happens)

I won $12k last year on Melbourne Cup day and that was it. I was back punting even more insane than have in the past.

I feel so much better for closing the accounts. I have lost nearly $200k since Melbourne Cup day and I feel ill. They have given me over $50k in deposit matches, every time my gambling stopped for a few days a few loyalty bonuses or deposit matches would be added to my account. They know when you slowing or trying to quit, it is as if they dangle that carrot just to keep you interested.

It’s disgusting, I have chest pain, have hardly been sleeping and have been have suicidal thoughts about how I will repay the money back to the person I have taken it from.

I know the suicidal thoughts part rings alarms bells for people but right now I have no actual plans to harm myself. I am right now empowered to turn myself around so when I tell the ones around me what I have done atleast they can see I have stopped and am on the way to recovering and rebuilding my life. I must stop for their forgiveness.

I earn really good money and can probably get a lot of it back to them before they need it, but I when the people around find out what I have done they will be very disappointed and let down, but if I have stopped and limited myself from access to money and bank accounts their forgiveness will be there I know it.

I’ll be logging regularly to the forum as I know I can stop. My access to money is limited and I’m rebuilding my life from today.

What an expensive lesson. The good part in all of this is my wife really has an understanding of my personality is so addictive, she understands why my past and childhood experiences have shaped my brain to the way it is. The more I read and try and understand the gambling mindset the better and more normal I feel.

I am in a good headspace so please no one need to be concerned about the suicidal idealisation comment, It feels like those thoughts are just part of the territory when you quit. That’s usually the trigger to stop again when you get that low. I would not do it to my kids, it’s time to break the pattern in my genetics and raise really resilient children that achieve lots, I am so much of a better parent and attentive when I am not distracted by gambling
    1 x
    Chunkyquitter

Thu May 02, 2019 7:50 am

March 27th is when I looked in to say I was quitting but did nothing about closing accounts. I must not have really meant it but this time I have no access to the accounts and money is limited so let’s do this Day 1/100
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”