Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • 3.16 in the morning I need this pokies crap out of my life

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Help I needtostop

3.16 in the morning I need this pokies crap out of my life

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 am

had this horrible addiction for over 15 years.
    It's not if I win or lose it does not matter it goes right back in I'm 35 I should know better but I keep going I can't stop it gets 3 to 4 days and it comes into my head like a screaming banshee "hey you need a break how about the local fot a few beers" but it's one mabye 2 drinks and a bunch of pineapples are gone.
    So I'm starting the challenge. By choice and not by choice if I can't turn myself around this time I'm going to lose fuxking everything I don't even know how I've managed to keep what I have. I feel like I'm falling apart. Depression anger towards myself and machines. It does not help the every suburb I've ever lived in is a bloody pokie venue.
    I need to start today I need to be free from this. I haven't asked for help before
    1 x
    kaizen

Re: 3.16 in the morning I need this pokies crap out of my life

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:59 am

Mate I know just how you feel and I'm sure loads of other people on this forum do too. It was hitting rock bottom that brought most of us here - feeling angry and frustrated and helpless.
    I was very similar sixty odd days ago. That is how long I have stayed free from gambling now, and I am slowly starting to feel better and more in control of myself and my money.
    Take each day one at a time and before you know it something that was such big part of your life just won't be who you are any more.
    Good luck.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am

Hello @Help I needtostop

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on GH online.
    Welcome to the forums!
    You have shown a great amount of courage speaking of your issue with gambling for the first time, that is always a first step so well done.
    You'd find that many other members have similar experiences to yourself.

There are different ways that you can tackle the gambling and it is possible!
    You can try some gambling counselling as well as some self-exclusion, where you can essentially ban yourself from up to 3 different venues. You only get banned from the gambling section of a venue.

Keep track of your urges and your trigger times so that you can try to substitute gambling with a more healthier and joyful activity that won't cause havoc like gambling.

I hope you find the forums to be helpful to you

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:06 am

Hey there,
    Good on you for joining this forum. Def means you are fed the fk up! I've had this stupid addiction for 20 years, god I shudder even writing that, so much wasted time!

I'm the same, doesn't matter how much I win, it always finds it's way back the next day.

Def doesn't help there's a pub on every corner!

Lots of support here, good luck with your challenge! Time to evict this **** from your life, you can do it. 🙂
    3 x
    Baz113

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:34 pm

Gday,

I totally understand you here mate. Sorry to hear you’re having a rough trot. The anxiety and depression sucks big time. Good on you though for reaching out and starting to try to stop.

Your post stood out as it’s exactly the same for me also. I never usually have a plan to gamble either. It’s usually after a couple of beers and then I think just $50. All of a sudden it’s a few thousand dollars down the drain, which I clearly can’t afford to do.
    Even if I am winning it all goes back in the machines, just feeding it and feeding it.
    I really want to stop too, I am about to lose my family over this issue.

This is all new to me, but I’m going to give it a crack. Hopefully I can touch base after I reach first milestone of 1 month without a gamble and a drink (as I know drinking is what sets me off). I love a drink so it’s gonna be hard to control, but I’m gonna give it a crack and see how I go.

Good luck with it all mate 👍
    Cheers
    Dyl
    4 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”