Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Day 3

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    sml0490

Day 3

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:00 am

After 11 years of gambling and nothing to show for my adult life it’s time to
    Stop. Pokies have been my weakness for far to long and it’s time to make 2019 a great one to remember. Today is day 3 gambling free and it was a rough one as it’s pay day but I did my best to keep myself occupied!
    It’s 1am and I found myself scrolling through other people’s posts and became inspired to write my own.
    If anyone has any helpful tips it would be greatly appreciated 😃
    1 x
    Shan04
    TimTam

Re: Day 3

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi @sml0490

Thank you for sharing your experience! And well done on keep yourself distracted.

Just some thoughts on strategies that you can try:

* try and put up as many barriers as you can to stop gambling

1. set up automatic payments to pay for all your bills - utilities, insurance, rent, loans, grocery cards, etc, pay for petrol ASAP. The less cash you have, the less temptation, the less you can lose.
    2. get rid of any credit cards.
    3. close all gambling accounts.
    4. self exclude yourself from gaming venues, TABS. etc.
    5. delete all gambling accounts on your devices and install banning software (e.g. GamBlock, BetFilter)
    6. join a support group - Gamblers Anonymous http://gaaustralia.org.au/get-in-touch/,
    7. speak to a Financial Counsellor - National Debt Helpline - 1800 007 007
    8. speak to a Telephone Counsellor on Gambling Helpline - 1800 858 858 it is a 24/7 telephone counselling service, it is confidential and anonymous. Because it is 24/7, we can help you get through any though times you are feeling at the moment, help try to get you past that urge to gamble.
    9. create your own First Aid Kit to help you take your mind away from gambling thoughts and urges. Use your senses - listen to music, watch your favourite movie or cat youtube video, smell something nice, eat some nice food or drink, move - exercise, walk, dance; get a massage, call Gambling Helpline, do anything get your mind off the gambling thought, don't try wrestling with it, it is exhausting, best to leave it alone, don't give it any energy by engaging with it.
    10. see a face to face counsellor and talk about your motivations for gambling - (financial, boredom, stress relief, loneliness, excitement, entertainment, etc) and find ways to replace what gambling does for you.
    11. and throw everything at it, sometimes one strategy may or may not work, so the more strategies you have in place, the better chance you will have to get through the moment.

I hope this helps, keep trying and be consistent :)

Tim Tam
    2 x
    sml0490

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:41 am

Today I’m at 6days gf. I’ve just been making more conscious decisions.
    My partner works at a venue so I’ve decided that I can’t go there because it never ends well.
    Each day is such a struggle, yesterday I went to a venue to play poker and didn’t even go in the pokie room which was a miracle and even when I won money for my second place I just left after the game was finished,I was proud I didn’t fall into the trap.

On my way to my first 100 gf 😃
    2 x
    Shan04
    want2befree

Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Awesome, so happy that you have found the strength and determination. Fingers crossed for you 😊
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 am

That's great to hear sml0490! Well done, you should be very proud of yourself.

It's also great that you've identified not being able to go to your partner's work. Looking forward to hearing more about your story and your techniques for the urges :)
    0 x
    sml0490

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:16 pm

Back to day 1 today guys! Silly me couldn’t resist the urge to go to my partners work.
    I’m trying to take the positive in the normally I would keep going until I had no money left but I did happen to stop before I got to that point.
    Pretty upset at myself and didn’t get much sleep because of it 😔
    1 x
    Shan04
    TimTam

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am

Hi @sml0490

Lapse is very common in the journey to give up gambling, try not to be too hard on yourself. This is an opportunity to learn from what happened, and put some plans in place so it doesn't happen again.
    It sounds like you need to stay away form your partners work altogether. You could consider banning yourself from that particular venue? You would still be allowed in to other areas of the venue but not the gaming section.

Tim Tam
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”