Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • My new year's resolution

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Dan

My new year's resolution

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:08 am

Hi everyone. I'm Dan you may have already read my story on the forum's but I have had a very tough trot the last 8 years of my life in 26 now and gambling has ruined so many parts of my life from finances to relationships ect. But I'm here to say this is going to stop I believe I can finally do it because this is the first time I have wanted to stop. What better time then a new year right? Well I'm going to take this 100 days head on. I'm trying to take up new hobbies I have even started colouring in adult colour books haha. I do enjoy it and it takes my mind away from gambling. But most of all I owe it to all the people who have helped me or I have let down over the years. I'm sick of being a failure and I want to make something of my life. Writing this does make me feel so much better. Thankyou for your support
    2 x
    How the F did I get here

Re: My new year's resolution

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:22 am

Hey Dan

Best of luck! You sound really positive! That's excellent.
    I also am sick of being a failure!!
    Really messed with your self esteem this horrible addiction.
    Wish you every success with your 100 challenge!
    2 x
    Dan

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:33 pm

Thank you for your support, if I can do it you can to :)
    1 x
    Cazza

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:59 am

Hey Dan, stay strong and keep colouring. Used to do them too, would find that 2 hours had passed in the blink of an eye. It takes a while for the brain to refocus on different things, but it happens. Don't lose hope
    1 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi Dan

Thank you for sharing your experience and encouragement.

Just some thoughts on strategies that you can try:

* put up as many barriers as you can to stop gambling

1. set up automatic payments to pay for all your bills - utilities, insurance, rent, loans, grocery cards, etc, pay for petrol ASAP. The less cash you have, the less temptation, the less you can lose.
    2. get rid of any credit cards.
    3. close all gambling accounts.
    4. self exclude yourself from gaming venues, TABS. etc.
    5. delete all gambling accounts on your devices and install banning software.
    6. join a support group - Gamblers Anonymous http://gaaustralia.org.au/get-in-touch/,
    7. speak to a Financial Counsellor - National Debt Helpline - 1800 007 007
    8. speak to a Telephone Counsellor on Gambling Helpline - 1800 858 858 it is a 24/7 telephone counselling service, it is confidential and anonymous. Because it is 24/7, we can help you get through any though times you are feeling at the moment, help try to get you past that urge to gamble.
    9. create your own First Aid Kit to help you take your mind away from gambling thoughts and urges. Use your senses - listen to music, watch your favourite movie or cat youtube video, smell something nice, eat some nice food or drink, move - exercise, walk, dance; get a massage, call Gambling Helpline, do anything get your mind off the gambling thought, don't try wrestling with it, it is exhausting, best to leave it alone, don't give it any energy by engaging with it.
    10. see a face to face counsellor and talk about your motivations for gambling - (financial, boredom, stress relief, loneliness, excitement, entertainment, etc) and find ways to replace what gambling does for you.
    11. and throw everything at it, sometimes one strategy may or may not work, so the more strategies you have in place, the better chance you will have to get through the moment.

I hope this helps, keep trying, be nice to yourself and be patient, it takes time and good luck with your 100 day challenge

All the best for 2019.

Regards
    dragon007
    0 x
    User 586f218674e86

Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Same boat man. Im 32 and the last 8 years have cost me over 100k aud. I quit then always get sucked in to a weekend of betting and lose thousands. Enough is enough. Im sick of hating myself for it.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”