Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Stop gambling

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Johnz08

Stop gambling

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:04 pm

I’m 35 years old have been battling compulsive gambling for the past 25 years.i wish to stop gambling I have lost hundreds of thousands of dollors , and I think to myself do I really want to loose my wife and my house as well . Time to man up and kill this disease once and for all wish me luck.
    0 x
    Hopeful_1

Re: Stop gambling

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 pm

good luck johnz

you can do it!

I am 34 and have been gambling for many many years too so I feel your pain

try the 100 day challenge with me?

I am on day 3 which seems like nothing at the moment but hoping some day i can look back and be thankful that I did and am no longer gambling

it's better to try something and fail then to just give up and repeat the same miserable cycle?

wishing you all the very best
    0 x
    Johnz08

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks for your support mate much appreciated.
    0 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 am

Hi Johnz

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Just some thoughts on strategies that you can try:

* put up as many barriers as you can to stop gambling
    1. set up automatic payments to pay for all your bills - utilities, insurance, rent, loans, grocery cards, etc, pay for petrol ASAP. The less cash you have, the less temptation, the less you can lose.
    2. get rid of any credit cards.
    3. close all gambling accounts.
    4. self exclude yourself from gaming venues, TABS. etc.
    5. delete all gambling accounts on your devices and install banning software.
    6. join a support group - Gamblers Anonymous, Smart Recovery Australia.
    7. speak to a Financial Counsellor - National Debt Helpline - 1800007007
    8. speak to a Telephone Counsellor on Gambling Helpline - 1800 858 858 it is a 24/7 telephone counselling service, it is confidential and anonymous. Because it is 24/7, we can help you get through any though times you are feeling at the moment, help try to get you past that urge to gamble.
    9. create your own First Aid Kit to help you take your mind away from gambling thoughts and urges. Use your senses - listen to music, watch your favourite movie or cat youtube video, smell something nice, eat some nice food or drink, move - exercise, walk, dance; get a massage, call Gambling Helpline, do anything get your mind off the gambling thought, don't try wrestling with it, it is exhausting, best to leave it alone, don't give it any energy by engaging with it.
    10. see a face to face counsellor and talk about your motivations for gambling - (financial, boredom, stress relief, loneliness, excitement, entertainment, etc) and find ways to replace what gambling does for you.
    11. and throw everything at it, sometimes one strategy may or may not work, so the more strategies you have in place, the better chance you will have to get through the moment.

I hope this helps, keep trying, be nice to yourself and be patient, it takes time.

Regards
    dragon007
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”