Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Back again

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Shaman

Back again

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Well. Here i am back again. Not sure I expect or if things will ever change for me. All I know is I’ve got to try.
    1 x
    Shaman

Re: Back again

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:16 pm

I did the challenge a few years ago and got to about 110 days thinking I was somehow cured. I’ve been gambling on and off since and for i just can’t seem to pinpoint why i’m Doing it. It’s Saturday afternoon and i can’t think of anything I want to do other than go to the local club and play those bloody machines. I think it’s to avoid stress. An escape of sorts. Does anyone else find they don’t even like their so-called friends? Not poking friends ‘cos let’s face it, we don’t go there to make friends do we. I need to find something stimulating to do and for the life of me, I can’t get into a mojo of any kind. Just feel swamped and am craving to sit on a poking stool right now. God help me.
    1 x
    Shaman

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:26 pm

I mean ‘pokie’ friends, not ‘poking friends’.....that’s even a worse idea than gambling :)
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Shaman
    Good on you for reaching out to the forums,
    I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators.

Its great to hear that in the past you went 110 days GH free. That is a tremendous effort.
    Now that you are wanting to stop again, it may be useful to look at what made you lapse back into gambling after 110 days, that way you are better able to fight off the urges to avoid a future lapse.
    Its quite common that for people to use gambling as a sort of 'escape' or 'stress reliever' and its great that you have acknowledged this for yourself because that way you can figure out healthier ways to reduce stress.
    There's many different ways you can put boundaries in place, such as self-exclusion (banning yourself from venues), counselling, letting someone you trust be in charge of your accounts so that you are restricted from large amounts of money.

Kind regards,

Calvin.
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 am

Hey Shaman,

Good to see you are back then.
    Yeah, I gotta say I get such enjoyment playing those bloody things, it's so stupid.

I think that's half my problem though, I don't have a circle of friends to socialize, so a bit of boredom for me is why I played also.
    Anyway you got to 110 before, your surely sound like you can do it again.
    Best of luck, you can do it.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”