Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Doing the Challenge 4th time, must succeed...

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    suz-free

Doing the Challenge 4th time, must succeed...

Thu May 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Once again, my addiction to pokies have brought me here to win this battle.
    I've wrote long posts about myself before so will just keep this one short and sweet!
    It's day 2 as I did not go there yesterday 😊
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: Doing the Challenge 4th time, must succeed...

Thu May 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi suzybeauty,

It's great that you're determined to tackle your gambling. Relapsing in general is normal when we are changing our behaviors, activities etc.
    It's helpful to recognize and understand what your urges are, what motivates you to gamble and creating goals for yourself. Putting barriers in place such as self-exclusion is also a good tool to use. If you feel like you need extra support, feel free to give Gamblers Helpline a call on 1800 858 858.

regards,

Calvin
    0 x
    pamela

Thu May 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi Suzybeauty..dont be despondent. Hold your head up and tell yourself you are the boss..learn to take control of your urges and you can over time..take each day one at a time..don't give up or in..just keep trying
    0 x
    Realme

Thu May 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Thank you Pam, I really appreciate your kind words & support. I'm determined more than ever to get there. I'm going to take note from my past triggers that happened and use this as a tool to not go there x
    0 x
    Realme

Fri May 11, 2018 12:55 pm

It's day 3 today. I was just reading other posts on this site. Some succeeded & some didn't in this challenge. A big bad part is the relapses that could happen - One lady did so well for 2 years & then relapsed, she's disappeared as I can't see any current posts. I've also relapsed in my past challenges. It makes me sad how we can be really strong to fight it and then the weakness can take over at any time. I'm so done with my weaknesses attacking me in the past and I so hope that I can now learn from my past triggers so I don't go back to destruction & ruins.

Suzybeauty
    0 x
    suz-free

Fri May 11, 2018 4:18 pm

If you see my name come up as a number here, I'm not sure why that's happening, I might have accidentally created 2 accounts or something when I'm logging in. I just wanted to add that, day 3 has brought me to a lot of thinking. Right now my bank balance stands as a minus, every week I've gambled at pokies, this has been the sad outcome of my bank balances. Unable to buy groceries for the family, unable to save, unable to do anything except sit at home & think of all the messes I've created by my terrible addiction. I also have a migraine today, I believe it's because of my financial situation. It's been a bad past week, partner & I were not getting along due to me going gambling, I've had to make cancellations to important appointments, extend payments that were due - All was going wrong and it's all because I went and blew valuable money that was needed. So now when I start to heal and feel better, I need to remember this past week as a big reminder not to go there again. Time for a better change
    0 x
    pamela

Fri May 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Suzy take heart that your situation can improve given time..as bad as it looks now you are heading in the right direction..dont give up just gain strength and say no to gambling
    0 x
    Mona58

Fri May 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Stay Strong Suzy! Keep reading and posting...
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    suz-free

Sat May 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Thank you Pam & Mona for your encouragement. Day 4 has seen me in tears - I have a migraine from last 3 days, partner & I are still not getting along, phoned my dad & sister but sister was quite rude and hung up on me, I felt isolated so I rang the councellor here. It was really good to talk to someone non judgemental who understood and got me out of my negative thinking. I highly recommend that if anyone comes to sadness/despair from the damages of their gambling addiction, call the councellors here, they can guide you.
    Praying for some miracles to take over my life, need to be on the right path
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Sat May 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Suzy, thanks for your reply on my thread.....I am sorry that you and your partner are both struggling. Unfortunately for me I gambled once too often after many many chances....In the end my husband left........Please stay strong in your resolve to quit for good.....it is amazing the healing that can happen when people know we are really trying hard.....I believe abstinence is the only way to beat this $%#@ addiction......I hope your migraine improves today Take care
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”