My Last Day One

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!

Re: My Last Day One

Postby Jc » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Still haven’t bet. I feel so good about that. However, I’m still very ‘low’. I’m not necessarily moody or irritable, I just want to lie in my bed. Yesterday after work, I lay on my bed for an hour staring at the ceiling. Ignoring everything around me. As I said before, this is a prolonged period where I haven’t had any sort of ‘buzz’.

I’ve also noticed I’ve been craving beer lately. I never really drank a lot, maybe a drink every few weeks. Its actually scary. If anyone watched the last video I posted up, that Michael Burke guy was an alcoholic who turned into a problem gambler. And he spoke about this idea of ‘trading addictions’. When youre addicted to one thing, you get help and when you recover, you get addicted to something else. I’m very wary of that.

Have a great weekend folks!
Jc

Postby Cazza » Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 am

Hi jc i was feeling the same at around 30 days and it does ease back. I started a new hobby and it helped a lot with the urges.

Hang on because the waves of urges will start to slow down and the grumpiness will fade. Just hang in there 😊
Cazza

Postby Jc » Tue May 29, 2018 11:41 pm

https://youtu.be/04CMay2kZG0

Just came across this video. It hits close to home. ‘Every addiction is built upon lies’.
‘It’s never enough’- no matter how much you win its never enough. Theres no such thing as walking away.
Jc

Re: My Last Day Onei

Postby Jc » Mon May 28, 2018 12:05 am

Thanks for the support everyone!

And you’re right chilaxis. One of the reasons I could never get into the pokies is because I never had control of the outcome. For me, I always mistakenly believed that I had some control of sports. I’d look at trends and stats and try and predict an outcome of a game - this gave me the illusion of control. I was still at the mercy of all the things you mentioned (bad calls, underperformance etc). No form of gambling really gives you control.

Its been 4 weeks gambling free. I haven’t even looked at odds - which was always my downfall. Even this saturDay night I was at the local venue with a few friends. One friend decided to use those TAB ebt machines to place a bet, I had to stand behind the machine so I wouldn’t see the screen. I don’t think any of them realised what I was doing but it was a close call.

The only time I ever get to see odds is if I’m watching a game. Even then, I always make sure to only watch the game, no pre match talks, half time talks or anything. Its harder still when your team is actually coming first in the NRL...

The urges are OK, but I’m not really sure how to deal with these temptations. At some I’m going to be thrust into a situation where there is gambling - nights out with friends, melbourne cup etc. Heck even with the World Cup coming I know my dad will ask me to place a bet on for him - and I have no idea what the hell I’m going to do there 😔. Although I’ll deal with that when those days come...

All the best for the upcoming weeks folks. Take it a day at a time!
Jc

Postby chilaxis » Sun May 27, 2018 9:55 pm

JC, can understand it's not easy to keep the gambling urge at bay - especially when it's been 5 years of the same routine.

But you're fighting very well and you're on your GREATEST WIN RECORD ever.

Being GF is like slamming the door on all those unexpected missed penalties, missed clutch shot, ejection, red cards, bad refereeing, injuries, under-performance, bad weather on match day, all those things that we could not control and have been causing us grief. No way are these events gonna hit / wipe out our savings again.

Don't let such cruelties of sports betting come back into our lives to defeat us. Every $ not used to gamble is every $ saved and we're beating the gambling industry. Every day we don't bet is a big point earned.

Let's keep fighting and stay ahead of the game, one day at a time.
chilaxis

Postby Mona58 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Keep fighting JC ! Keep fighting!

It will get better... your body and mind are adjusting. Good idea to try some activity... something strenuous... jump around the house.... laugh with yourself... be proud of how far your've come!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Jc » Sun May 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Made it through the weekend (so far! its still sunday nignt). Probably the worst I’ve felt in a while. I’m irritable and have zero energy. Had such a strong urge after work on Saturday but I didn’t give in. I’m on day 28 at the moment, and I feel my willpower being chipped away at slowly.

I’ve been keeping myself occupied whenever I’ve been at home, but its difficult. Ive never taken any illicit drugs before, but I feel as if nothing will ever compare to the ‘high’ I got when gambling. When you’ve got a bet on, and theres ten minutes left of a game and you’re sweating out a certain outcome. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to replicate those highs (do I want to?). I can read, play sports, video games etc, but lets face it, those arent things that get you going. Maybe I’m just used to being ‘high’ on gambling. Ive pretty much bet everyday for the last 5 years, so I’ve never experienced a prolonged ‘low’ or ‘downtime’ in my life as I am now. Its probably the reason why I’ve been having withdrawals. Maybe I’ll have to do more adrenaline surging activities.

I’ve noticed that I have zero energy or determination now. Ive started consuming waaay more energy drinks too. I just want to lie on my bed.

Hoping things will pick up this week.
Jc

Postby Cazza » Fri May 25, 2018 10:43 pm

" The biggest win is to quit betting "
What we all strive for. Love it. Thanks jc.
Happy GF weekend 😊
Cazza

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge