Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

    To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My Last Day One

    For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Under the rug
    Member
    Posts: 37
    Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 6:09 pm

    Re: My Last Day One

    Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 pm

    Good to hear JC. Now day 5 GF myself. I think the days get harder the longer they go on for me. I could last three to four weeks then cave hard. But we'll see how I go.

    Start of a new week, keep at it. Here to support.

    D.
    0 x
    Jc
    Senior Member
    Posts: 155
    Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:13 am

    Re: My Last Day One

    Sun May 13, 2018 10:54 pm

    Dan P wrote:Good to hear JC. Now day 5 GF myself. I think the days get harder the longer they go on for me. I could last three to four weeks then cave hard. But we'll see how I go.

    Start of a new week, keep at it. Here to support.

    D.
    I agree 100%. I call it ‘willpower deterioration'. You can be really strong and fight off these urges, but week by week it takes its toll on you, and eventually youre so fatigued from saying no, you just cave. I honestly don't know what to do when I inevitably reach that point. Its going to take some strong discipline.
    0 x
    chilaxis
    Member
    Posts: 96
    Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:56 am

    Re: My Last Day One

    Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 am

    Good on you JC on getting yourself self-excluded from all sites, and getting past your free weekend unscathed!. Understand that little voice that held you back - experienced it too.

    It's a satisfying feeling to not lose any more $ and time to gambling and getting back the self-control, isn't it? Just have to be mindful of the triggers as they could ambush us anytime.
    0 x
    Jo-Anne
    Senior Member
    Posts: 457
    Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:40 pm

    Re: My Last Day One

    Mon May 14, 2018 8:02 am

    So good to see you all supporting each other and all doing great guns....well done guys JC, Dan P and Chilaxis.......Jo :) :cool:
    0 x
    Jc
    Senior Member
    Posts: 155
    Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:13 am

    Re: My Last Day One

    Mon May 14, 2018 9:26 pm

    chilaxis wrote:Good on you JC on getting yourself self-excluded from all sites, and getting past your free weekend unscathed!. Understand that little voice that held you back - experienced it too.

    It's a satisfying feeling to not lose any more $ and time to gambling and getting back the self-control, isn't it? Just have to be mindful of the triggers as they could ambush us anytime.
    Well the World Cup is about a month a way. Thats going to be a major test for me, and thatll definitely be a trigger. Although, I'll deal with that when the time comes. ‘A day at a time'.
    Extremely satisfying not losing money and time. There were times where I'd binge 20+ hours watching and betting on sports on the weekend.

    Gambling has sucked the passion out of sport, I can barely watch it anymore. As a neutral definitely not, and as a fan of a team its still hard. Its a shame really, Its been in my life since I was a kid.

    And thank you Jo!
    0 x
    Mona58
    Senior Member
    Posts: 1123
    Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:44 pm

    Re: My Last Day One

    Mon May 14, 2018 10:34 pm

    It is a real shame how capitalism / gambling ruins sports!
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    chilaxis
    Member
    Posts: 96
    Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:56 am

    Re: My Last Day One

    Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 am

    Jc wrote:
    Well the World Cup is about a month a way. Thats going to be a major test for me, and thatll definitely be a trigger. Although, I'll deal with that when the time comes. ‘A day at a time'.
    Extremely satisfying not losing money and time. There were times where I'd binge 20+ hours watching and betting on sports on the weekend.

    Gambling has sucked the passion out of sport, I can barely watch it anymore. As a neutral definitely not, and as a fan of a team its still hard. Its a shame really, Its been in my life since I was a kid.

    And thank you Jo!
    Yeah, I too had been a fan of sports since young and it's unfortunate that the gambling industry preys on the passion of sports-lovers. I remember when I was about 21, as I was a soccer freak, I was asked by my cousin "do you bet on soccer?" , I told her a straight no and that I'd never bet on soccer - easy to say when I had not got the first taste! But thinking back I now understand why she'd ask the question. It's so ingrained that if you're a sports-lover, one day this temptation will get to you.

    Fast forward 16 years later and it got to me, and got me burnt real hard over a 7-months binge.

    But, if I really looked hard back into my history, since I was 25 years old, I had succumbed to two other kinds of 'gambling' in the past due to my addictive nature - shares-trading with huge leverage and forex-trading with huge leverage. Although I had gotten clean from these two other forms of gambling for 6 years now, sports-betting crept up on me last year.

    All I can say is that if I hadn't dabbled in any kind of these forms of gambling, my family would've been so much well off financially now. But no use crying over spilt milk. The bright side I see is that I've been able to learn from experience, and know that I am able to put a stop to any form of gambling. This recent experience with sports-betting tells me that gambling can come in any shape and form (forex, shares-trading, sports, casino, pokies, lotto...), we just need to be on our toes to not go near it when the temptation arises. The future will be brighter for my family, I know it will.

    We'll be in the same boat when World Cup comes around. In previous years I've watched almost all the games! But I know it will be a good chance to practise averting temptation to bet. And we stand a stronger chance to go through it unscathed as we have all our gambling accounts closed.

    All the best JC.
    0 x
    Jc
    Senior Member
    Posts: 155
    Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:13 am

    Re: My Last Day One

    Fri May 18, 2018 11:33 pm

    chilaxis wrote:
    Jc wrote:
    Well the World Cup is about a month a way. Thats going to be a major test for me, and thatll definitely be a trigger. Although, I'll deal with that when the time comes. ‘A day at a time'.
    Extremely satisfying not losing money and time. There were times where I'd binge 20+ hours watching and betting on sports on the weekend.

    Gambling has sucked the passion out of sport, I can barely watch it anymore. As a neutral definitely not, and as a fan of a team its still hard. Its a shame really, Its been in my life since I was a kid.

    And thank you Jo!
    Yeah, I too had been a fan of sports since young and it's unfortunate that the gambling industry preys on the passion of sports-lovers. I remember when I was about 21, as I was a soccer freak, I was asked by my cousin "do you bet on soccer?" , I told her a straight no and that I'd never bet on soccer - easy to say when I had not got the first taste! But thinking back I now understand why she'd ask the question. It's so ingrained that if you're a sports-lover, one day this temptation will get to you.

    Fast forward 16 years later and it got to me, and got me burnt real hard over a 7-months binge.

    But, if I really looked hard back into my history, since I was 25 years old, I had succumbed to two other kinds of 'gambling' in the past due to my addictive nature - shares-trading with huge leverage and forex-trading with huge leverage. Although I had gotten clean from these two other forms of gambling for 6 years now, sports-betting crept up on me last year.

    All I can say is that if I hadn't dabbled in any kind of these forms of gambling, my family would've been so much well off financially now. But no use crying over spilt milk. The bright side I see is that I've been able to learn from experience, and know that I am able to put a stop to any form of gambling. This recent experience with sports-betting tells me that gambling can come in any shape and form (forex, shares-trading, sports, casino, pokies, lotto...), we just need to be on our toes to not go near it when the temptation arises. The future will be brighter for my family, I know it will.

    We'll be in the same boat when World Cup comes around. In previous years I've watched almost all the games! But I know it will be a good chance to practise averting temptation to bet. And we stand a stronger chance to go through it unscathed as we have all our gambling accounts closed.

    All the best JC.
    I went to school with a few people who got into hedge fund managing/stock trading - and surprise surprise, they all love sports betting. Whether they're addicted or not, thats not my place to say. But everytime I'd bet/talk sports odds they'd be the first people I'd turn to. Everytime I'd ask if they had a bet on, they'd always answer in the affirmative. There seems to be a correlation between sports betting and people working in finance thats for sure.

    In regards to the World Cup, I do plan on watching some of it. I can't run away from these things forever. I can't shut out sports completely. I'm going to guage it and see how I am at the beginning.

    Keep it up Chilaxis
    0 x
    Jc
    Senior Member
    Posts: 155
    Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:13 am

    Re: My Last Day One

    Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 pm

    So far, I'm on day 17. Was bedridden wednesday with a virus. Thursday I felt better. That was the worst day. Sitting at home on the couch, alone, watching sports. I was pretty vulnerable at the time. I could have easily caved but held strong.


    Theres a term called ‘fiending' - when a drug addict will do anything possible to get their fix. There were times when I blew all my money betting, that I'd literally scour my entire house for coins, then search my car - all that to scrape together enough money to go to my local and exchange it for a betting voucher, it mightve only been like $4. But that was enough to get my fix.
    Thats how bad it got.
    0 x
    Jc
    Senior Member
    Posts: 155
    Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:13 am

    Re: My Last Day One

    Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 am

    Another weekend done and dusted.

    So my biggest step I've taken so far: is not looking at odds/checking betting websites. I used to ALWAYS go on bet365, pretty much everyday to look through the odds of the days baseball/basketball games. I'd always have to know what the odds are if I'm watching a match. I always needed to know who was a fav and who was an underdog. Even if I wasn't betting - I'd still peruse the bet365 app. And to check scores I'd always use their app. It became a routine thing, almost like reading the paper. I'd wake up and check odds.

    Even in previous attempts to quit, I'd still keep up this routine. And surprise surprise, I always caved. Seeing odds there and thinking ‘oh thats great value, I wasn't going to bet but those odds are too good to pass on'. And of course i'd lose.

    I've stopped this habit the last 3 weeks. Anyway, have a great week folks.

    Remember, a day at a time.
    0 x

    Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”