Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Day 1 of breaking the cycle

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Jackyboy

Day 1 of breaking the cycle

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi,

My gambling has increased ever since i lost 20 thousand on the crypto currency market crash.

I am a compulsive gambler and i will bet on anything including horse racing, trots, greyhounds, forex, futures, binary options, bitcoin etc.

I gamble because i'm trying to chase losses and because i'm poor.

The only way i can counter this is self-excluding from EVERY website i have lost money on.

Need to break the cycle.
    0 x
    flipper (facilitator)

Re: Day 1 of breaking the cycle

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:26 am

Hi Jackyboy,

I'm Flipper one of the Gambling Help Online Moderators- welcome to the forums! Although breaking the habit of gambling can be difficult, it is possible, and one of the major benefits of the Forums is having the opportunity to relate to other people who share similar experiences to you.

Being under financial pressure is extremely difficult and it is very common for people to turn back to gambling as a way to chase their losses, it's good that you can identify that this is what you are doing. The harsh reality is that gambling to chase your losses will often end up making your financial situation worse, and any wins will typically end up going back towards bets as well. It sounds as though you are coming to that understanding and are now ready to get support to counter your gambling. I'm wondering if you have heard of gamblock before? (https://www.gamblock.com/) It is an app that blocks access to online gambling. There is an initial fee involved (roughly $100);, but it sounds like this is something you might find useful in the long term. What other things have you tried to curb your gambling?

Well done for reaching out today!

- Flipper
    0 x
    Jackyboy

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks flipper, i have self-excluded from at least 20 gambling sites. I've self-excluded from Bitcoin exchanges as well. I just need to complete the 100 day challenge to be me again. I will try to check in daily.
    0 x
    Cazza

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi jackyboy,
    I have also just started the 100 day Challenge. 7 down and 93 to go. I read the forum everday and i find this helps me alot. I have also handed over all my financial control to my husband. He then buys me a store card and i get $20 cash.
    This for me i believe the only way as i can't be trusted with ready access to cash. Pokies are my downfall.
    Would this be something that you would consider or would be able to make work for you?
    Good luck in your journey 😊
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi Jackyboy.....you are well on your way....well done!! Looking forward to travelling on the GF road with you,......Jo 😊
    0 x
    Jackyboy

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

And Cazza, handing over financial control sounds like it should work out well for you. Keep going.
    Wish i could do this, but i'm single.
    On the plus side, my gambling can only hurt myself, i guess.
    But i have hurt people over the years through my gambling.
    0 x
    Cazza

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi, how did you go today?
    Do you have someone that you can talk maybe about this.
    I know when i 1st started gambling i was single and it was a work/gamble cycle, and then it was harder in a way as you didn't have to be accountable to anyone because of it.
    But be accountable to yourself jackyboy. You deserve it. We have a crap disease but we are curable. We can do this!! Just keep trying 😊
    0 x
    Jackyboy

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi Cazza,

I'm going well thanks. I know i just need to get a few weeks behind me(not gambling) so i can feel better.
    Gambling is my weakness, I gave up drinking and smoking 15 years ago and i now have my weight under control after yo-yo dieting for much of my life.
    I think i read that you gave up smoking as well, it takes a strong mind to beat that addiction so well done.
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”