My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Postby chilaxis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:49 am

Jo-Anne wrote:Hi Chilaxis......lovely to hear about your family time yesterday!! With some sport thrown in as well and no betting! Good for you!! Stay strong!!. Jo

Thanks Jo - trying my best, a day at a time..
chilaxis

Postby SickOfThePunt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 am

Hi Chilaxis,
I’m new here, but boy oh boy there are so many similarities in yours and my stories.

Today is my day one.

Weekend was a bender, stressing and anxious about money today, such a terrible feeling, and a worse feeling is the secrets and lies held from those I love the most .
I’m hoping that your story will inspire me to give up also. I feel very determined to give it all up (partly because I had a massive weekend of betting yet again) and feel terrible today- but I know I’ll struggle this weekend - damn all those Ladbroke adds 😫😫
I love the thrill of betting, horses , dogs and harness, they are my forte, and I don’t stop until my money’s gone . (Mine and my husbands that is 😪😪)
I’m thankful for this group, I have to keep telling myself that today I will not bet. I get paid tomorrow , so tomorrow night will be my first test - I have to remember that Gawler, Albion Park, Wentworth Park will all still race without me. I really need to pull my life together- or I’m afraid I will lose it all.
Anyway, here’s to today gamble free, and let’s say the same thing tomorrow. �
SickOfThePunt

Postby Jo-Anne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Chilaxis......lovely to hear about your family time yesterday!! With some sport thrown in as well and no betting! Good for you!! Stay strong!!. Jo
Jo-Anne

Postby chilaxis » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:40 am

Went through Day - 2 yesterday gamble free. More significantly, went through the weekend where sports is on in spades without putting on any bets.

It was a good day, went to church, brought my boy out to play soccer, helped children with their homework, watched a movie with my family,

Went through my first Arsenal game without putting on a bet in a long while.

This morning however, woke up with a heavy chest, The thought of the money lost weighing down on me. The guilt. But at least I did not do any further damage to my family's finances these past two days, and there's hope of never doing any more damage in the future.

I'm going to try and pray and meditate now to get this heavy feeling off my chest.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 am

Day-1. Right after dinner, looked at soccer results and AFL fixtures. But realized the trigger was coming and so shut down my mobile to go take a shower. Came out without the urge. Instead spent time with wife and kids.

Jo-Anne wrote:Hi again Chilaxis......I don't know what to say! Actually you have said all you need to hear at the moment. It is a struggle I know, it doesn't matter whether you are at Day 1 or Day 135. We all face this battle together. It just gets a little easier each day that we do not bet., despite the setbacks along the way. I know you will make it!!

Thanks Jo, God willing I will go further this time, I feel I've got a stronger resolve to not turn back to gambling this time compared to before my relapse.
chilaxis

Postby Jo-Anne » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi again Chilaxis......I don't know what to say! Actually you have said all you need to hear at the moment. It is a struggle I know, it doesn't matter whether you are at Day 1 or Day 135. We all face this battle together. It just gets a little easier each day that we do not bet., despite the setbacks along the way. I know you will make it!!
Jo-Anne

Postby chilaxis » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:12 am

I went to my counselling, and managed to get many things off my chest to my counsellor.

I went through the reasons why I think I gambled (stress-relief, affinity with sports since young, wanting additional capital for business etc.), and why I didn't gamble.

She advised me that the decision lies on me to not gamble, and I should find a way to relieve stress, like using mindfulness. She said she would send an email to me regarding resources on relaxation techniques etc. (which I haven't received yet) and I need to try to get into the habit of fending off the gambling urges automatically by finding an alternative stress-reliever technique, and we agreed that we should concentrate on building our business rather than thinking about gambling.

Later in the day, right before dinner with family, I went into a corner of my room to look at the odds of AFL matches coming up on my mobile, and saw that Crows was at $1.18 to beat the Pies in Adelaide. Somehow all the things I went through with the counsellor went out of the window and emboldened by the Arsenal win yesterday morning and wanting to claw back my $19,600 losses with an 'easy' bet, I placed the bet at $2500 stake. Like lamb to the slaughter, I lost $2500 as the Magpies somehow managed to upset the Crows. The Arsenal match won me $900, now the Crows loss lost me $2500. Net loss for 1 day = -$1600. So now my total losses stand at -$22,100. After 5 days of gambling-free, this one day binge costed me more than a month's income from the business in its fledgling state.

Yesterday, as my two children wanted me to tuck them into bed and play a bedtime story game with them, I tucked them into bed and kissed them goodnight, but couldn't get myself to play the bedtime story game with them, and pray with them before they sleep as I usually do.. I could only droop my head and tell them to pray themselves before going to bed as I headed out from their room. I felt a lousy father for having gambled away money meant for them, for my family. If I continue gambling at this rate taking away money, time and energy from me when I should be putting them into the business, our family business will go bust by year's end.

As I dug a deeper hole for myself and look at the additional money I've lost, I'm feeling a big big pain in my guts right now and feeling very depressed. How did I get into this position ? I need to drum into my head that over the long-run that gambling will ruin my life, and I'm actually gambling with not my money, but I'm gambling with my wife, and my children (something the counsellor reminded me of). I'm going to lose them if I don't break this habit.

I resolve today to work hard build my family business over the next 10 years into a solid business, stick $1m cash into a term deposit to get back my lost $22,100 as term deposit interest. There is no way I will claw back my losses through gambling! I need to focus on the positives, at least over the past week I've managed to do some marketing for the business resulting in 5 new students for my wife to teach.

Time to pick myself up from this fall, and continue walking towards the gambling-free goal on this 100-Day challenge. A day at a time...
chilaxis

Postby Jo-Anne » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Chilaxis.....How are you tonight? I hope you had a good session with the counsellor today. Sorry to hear about this morning! You will get there because you have the desire and strength to quit!! Hope you have a good weekend 😊
Jo-Anne

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge