Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Thankyou for sharing @chilaxis

Although things seem a little stressful right now, know that its temporary. Slowly slowly your account will build up overtime and you would feel alot lighter than if you were to continue to gamble

Set backs are normal, identify your urges, put in some strategies for when those urges are strong.

Well done on keeping that motivation going. Keep it up.

Calvin.
    1 x
    chilaxis

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 am

Thank you for the encouragement Calvin.

Day-3 GF.

- I have closed my trading account as planned.
    - Woke up in the middle of the night again with a lot of 'what-if' thoughts. Needed some effort to brush them away.
    - Confronted with reality of the $65k debt again. Keep thinking I should've stopped trading when $170k up. But I know it is futile thoughts, as the gambler in me would never have stopped.
    - Psychologically damaged. Woke up in the middle of the night again.
    - Work affected. Distracted. Can't concentrate.
    - Will tomorrow be better?
    - At least there can be no more damage done via trading.
    - One day at a time.
    1 x
    chilaxis

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 am

- Couldn't resist urge to look the Dow Jones Index today to think of shorting it (war drones attack over Saudi oil fields over weekend)
    - Had passing thought to email to reopen the account to short the index, but let the thought pass. Account stays closed.
    - A day of no trading/gambling, means a day of money saved. A win for me today.

Day-5 GF.
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Hey @chilaxis thank you for sharing your story, I'm sorry to hear how things have been going for you.
    Impressed to hear the steps you've taken such as closing the accounts - and keeping them closed.

I'm sure there are many here who can relate to those mid-night wake ups, perhaps to reassure you that they too will pass.

I do hope that today is better for you, in response to your wondering.

Take care, cheering for you.
    2 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    chilaxis

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you for the encouragement Brittv.

Day-6 - GF.

Financial markets still largely playing on my mind, but I had a better sleep last night.

Will focus on work, business, and familiy today.

One day at a time.
    3 x
    gzy3

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:13 am

Hi @chilaxis
    I like you have touched on your thought process and how you have overcome it. Not only your achievement.
    I hope you are having a great day focusing your work and and family. Keep on going and yes indeed one at a time.
    1 x
    chilaxis

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Thank you @gzy3 for your kind words - it's truly not easy to stay away from trading/gambling. I find journaling my day-to-day thoughts and activities will help me reflect better. All the best with your journey too!

Day-7 GF.

- Woke up and first thing prayed to God to ask for help for self-control for today
    - Sat at work table - instead of starting work, spent about 3 hours just looking and analyzing the Dow Jones chart this morning. Drawing trend lines etc. Absolutely convinced we are at or close to a top.
    - Watched YouTube videos on analysts talking about Technical Analysis of the US stock market
    - Struggling with thoughts of:
    A. Should I use my family savings (meant for a home deposit) to clear out current massive Debt?
    B. Should I use my family savings to continue to short Dow Jones Index conservatively to grow my savings? (at the risk of losing a chunk of my savings going further into Debt and addiction)
    C. Should I just keep my family savings as is and just use future earnings from work to clear out massive Debt over a few years?
    - The risk-taker/gambler in me is leaning towards B - reopening my account and continue trading with what remains of my savings. But my better conscience is screaming at me to hold me back to go for option A or C.
    - It's been a mentally-straining day :(
    - Need to refocus on work and family for the rest of today.
    - Help me, God.

Day-7 GF (barely). A day at a time.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Keep pushing through @chilaxis, I understand at times it feels extremely difficult but remember although these urges are strong they're also temporary. You have the power of making a choice.
    Journalling is a great way of keeping track and I appreciate how honest you are about the thoughts going through your mind at the present time.

Keep it up !
    2 x
    chilaxis

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Thank you for your support Calvin!

I've read up about the 'urge surfing' technique involving being mindful of the sensations of my body and breath when urges come - and try to just be an observer of the urge and let it pass. So far it's been helpful - hopefully I can keep training my mind to do that whenever the urge comes.

I've so far resisted the temptation to use my savings to further trade with this technique.

However, I'm struggling to repay debt and handle business and family expenses without having to dip into our savings. Have to be especially skimp over the next few years to tide by while repaying my large overhanging debt and tackling all these upcoming expenses.

The suffering that I have caused my wife and children to endure - I really could've given them a better life :( How I wish I could go back in time to give my younger self a stern warning...

Day-9 GF. One day at a time.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:31 am

Great that you've learnt a different technique and that you've found it useful. Making adjustments to our lives by getting rid of a habit is difficult in general. It takes some time and now is a point where its important to be patient and most of all kind to yourself.

9 Days is great ! thats over a week! Celebrate these small achievements, acknowledge that for yourself.

If you are wanting some face to face counselling you can see a gambling counsellor and/or a financial counsellor. Financial counsellors can give you some guidance and support around your finances and repaying debts etc. For more info on referral you can call our helpline (1800 858 858). Happy to help.
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”