Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    BrittV (facilitator)

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Chilaxis I'm so glad to read you had such a great moment after such a tough period for you... you deserve it!

And what a nice person doing that! I had something similar happen recently, it's great to know there are so many great people out there.

Always enjoy reading your posts - not just posts about your journey but also the support and insights you share with us all.

Take care & looking forward to congratulating you on reaching your goal very soon.

BrittV
    0 x
    chilaxis

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you for your feedback BrittV!

Last night I had a dream. My first sports-betting one.

Somehow I placed a bet on Angers vs. PSG, the underdog vs. a top tier team in a soccer match. I placed a bet and yet did not watch the game, I went ahead to watch another two teams play soccer.

I was so engrossed with watching the other game that I had forgot about the bet. Then almost at the end of the game, I remembered I had a bet on and I switched back to watching Angers vs. PSG, Angers was winning close to the end of the match and I saw my gambling account ballooning, but a few seconds later PSG scored - and then the full-time whistle. Another $2,500 down the drain! I was shaking.

At that moment, I woke up to the sound of my daughter vomiting in the toilet at 3 a.m., and proceeded to help her rest and recover as she had just gotten food poisoning.

It's getting quite intense getting close to the end of my 100-Days journey. Dreams are reminding me of my past traumatic experiences with sports-gambling. Just thankful that it ended a nightmare rather than a sweet dream.

97 Days GF.
    0 x
    Cazza

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Sweet dreams tonight chilax on the eve on your 100 days.
    Am so happy for you 😊
    0 x
    chilaxis

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:01 am

Day-100! Woohoo... a milestone achieved :)

As I look back, if I hadn't stopped gambling these past 3 months, I would've lost $25,000 more and countless hours of sleep, so I'm thankful.

Thank you everyone for your support on this forum.

Although the urges to gamble have largely dwindled, but it still ambushes me here and there, so will continue to be vigilant, and will watch out for the 'trap' every day. For my family's sake, for my well-being.

@Cazza: Thanks for your wishes!
    2 x
    Springhope17

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm

Congrats!

Great work on reaching 100 days! As well as all the things that comes with it! Especially the extra sleep!
    Keep going strong for yourself and your family!!
    0 x
    Mona58

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:27 pm

Well done Chilax! Stay Strong.
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    pamela

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:03 am

Well done Chillax..keep moving forward and don't look back
    0 x
    chilaxis

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm

I've relapsed. Unfortunately :(

Didn't go back to Sports Betting - but instead opened a trading account and traded commodities, forex, indices etc over the past 13 months.

I thought it was different this time. It's a valid side-income business this time, I told myself. Do it properly and trade.

Profits went up to $170,000 at one stage (by May '19). But then it all came crashing down and I lost all those profits to the tune of -$165,000. I've even taken out credit card loans of $65,000 to feed my trading habit. I spent more than I usually do when profits were up too. :(

Yesterday I shorted the Dow Jones and lost -$8,700 on just one trade. It's what our family earns in a few months usually through our fledgling family business.

It's not just the monetary loss, but also the loss of time and energy which should've been used to build my family business and spend with my family.

Everyday I'd be addicted and glued to the computer and phone screen watching the charts, even when it was time for work, even when it was time for kids, even when it was time for rest. (So similar to when I was addicted to sports betting!!!)

I feel like a loser even as I type all of the above up. Why was I so stupid to re-open a trading account !! :( :(

I've taken the remaining peanuts cash of $1,300 out of my trading account this morning and intend to close the account once the money is out.
    No looking back!!!

Today is my Day-1 again. One day at a time - need to defeat this gambling demon.
    2 x
    chilaxis

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:28 am

- The $1.3k has been received by my savings account from the trading account. Closing trading account today - not going to put more money in again.
    - Feelings of deep remorse. - Woke up in the middle of the night this morning with a guttural pain, it was hard to explain to my wife.
    - Looking at pile of bills and with only $1.3k in savings account - it will be difficult to get out of this one this time.
    - $65k in credit card debt due to trading binge.
    - It will take me 6 years of working and income to pay off these debts fully - what have I gotten myself into :(
    - Need to concentrate on work and business - that should be my one true source of income.

Day-2 GF. One day at a time.
    1 x
    chilaxis

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 am

A bit of sharing of the background of my trading addiction.

I've been afflicted with a trading addiction on-and-off since 2005 myself when I first got introduced to shares by my friend when I was 25 years-old.

At first it was dollar-cost-average investing into blue chip shares. But then when I first saw the share price rise and drop for the first time, and the prospect of going in and out for a quick profit (especially on penny stocks) - the concept of 'trading' (gambling) started to take a stranglehold on my life.

14 years on, I have lost a total of close to $250,000 on trading (plus last year's 9 months of a stupid sports-betting stint), and how many thousands of precious hours glued to the ticker/candlestick charts of shares/commodities/forex. Sure I have had the amazing trade once in a while where I've gained $100,000+ in a single trade, but overall, I've lost much more than I've gained. Monetary-wise, time-wise, energy-wise. All down the drain.

Over these 14 years if I had just stuck to dollar-cost-averaging a portion of my savings from my salary into blue-ship shares or just an index fund, it's safe to say that it will be comfortable living for me, my wife and my two children by now.

I have tried to study a lot on trading strategies and do trading the proper way (keep losses small, trend-following, let winners run, risk only 2% per trade etc.) - but I think my psychological make-up (perfectionist/compulsive/ocd/optimist) always causes me to frequently move my stop-loss when I shouldn't, revenge-trade, addicted to trading (constantly glued to the trading screen, even at work and at home). I've come to the conclusion that I need to stop trading cold turkey. Dollar-cost-average investing into blue-ships or index funds yes, but trading - need to stay away big time.

Just two days ago, I lost $8700 on just one trade alone shorting the DOW, 2 months' worth of our household monthly savings. Money meant for rent, meant for credit-card repayment, meant for kids' education, meant for groceries, meant for wife's small business. :( :(

I have decided yesterday (12/09/19) to take a stand and say enough is enough. I am 39 years-old and there are still two thirds of my life to go. I want it to be trading and gambling free. I want to provide the best for my wife, my young daughter and son. I have decided to withdraw the peanuts that is left of my trading account and close the account permanently.

I'm in a pathetic situation right now as a father and husband. Mired in credit card debt (yes how silly was I to take out loans to trade), still renting and no house to call our own, rising costs of two children, and an addiction to beat.

Hopefully yesterday will be the turning point, and will be my first day towards a better future. I'll be struggling to pay back my debts, and definitely will expect to go through tough trading addiction withdrawals - but I think the future will be brighter for my family with me taking this stand. First mission is to work hard to repay all existing debts, and then start saving again (and keep it out of trading harm's way).

Day-2 Gambling/Trading Free - One day at a time!
    2 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”