Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • 3rd time, must do it this time 😊

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    suz-free

Re: 3rd time, must do it this time 😊

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:43 am

I just had an unpleasant text with my partner. I texted him about some of my feelings and he took it all wrong and texted back about it all in a twisted way so communication is terrible now. I told him I need a support in my challenge and to call me - he is at work, I can't believe how low this day is getting. I might call the gambling help line now for further advice :(
    0 x
    DFP

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Please put a strong plan in place for tomorrow - given that you are getting paid, and that you are feeling low. Can you safeguard your pay? Give your card to someone to look after? Or move the pay to a safe account without access? You will be put under enormous pressure tomorrow to go to the pokies and seek instant relief (but longer term pain). Plan ahead - don't let it get you again!!
    0 x
    Always a 'work in progress'
    User 586eee5282d07

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi suzy,

Sorry you have had a rough few days my friend. It is tough when we start to face and feel some emotions that gambling used to suppress. Please post soon so we know how you are.

Take care.

Sandra
    0 x
    suz-free

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:02 am

Hi all,
    I haven't been here for a week due to shopping in past week, and then a busy weekend house cleaning and some resting. Back to my past week, I have never shopped so much like I did or at least for a long time - I bought makeup, lots of clothes & shoes - it was enjoyable.
    I'm happy to say, all is good now between my partner and I, and I didn't go pokies, had a few urges while out but my shopping kept me doing something I liked (which I did a lot of before pokies). I'm a shopaholic, my other addiction I have to work on :D I'm glad I didn't spend it there and bought lots instead to take home :D
    The other thing I did when my urges came upon me was to tell myself I didnt want to disappoint my family and I did positive thinking about it

Day 16, feeling good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0 x
    pamela

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 am

Good job..fighting those urges does become easier and shopping is much more fun with something to show at the end of it..
    0 x
    suz-free

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi all and thank you Sandra & Pamela. It's day 22.
    Twice in past week, I went to the venue to get free coffee after some shopping. I was using them for a change :D I felt a little sad that I couldn't play the machines but I'm committed to sticking with my 100 day challenge. The sadness was only for a few seconds and then I felt good knowing I am doing the right thing and not spending loads of money on them. I didn't play pokies and after the coffee I walked out, I felt empowered.
    Today is my partner's birthday dinner. My son & I are going to eat out, should be fun :D
    0 x
    Izzi

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Way to go Suzybeauty - proud of you for sticking to your guns.

Hehe @ used them for a coffee, I ABSOLUTELY love it!

today is my day 1 of the 100 day challenge, any tips or words of wisdom that you can offer me?
    0 x
    suz-free

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi Izzy,
    thank you for posting to me :)
    My advice is to think of all the positives when any urges sneak in. Example: when you get an urge while home or out and your mind is saying I want to go, or I'm missing it and need a hit of it, I have money today and I'm going for a quick play, I might win money today and get happy, no one will know and I can sneak in there for a fun play, I'm passing by one now - I'll go in because I like having a play and I'm craving it, I need a relief from my stressed out thoughts so I am going, or this is too hard staying away/I'm getting anxiety so I'm going there. I know that the mind can tell us all these reasons and excuses that we want to hear of going there, but when you change those thought patterns and tell yourself: I don't want to lose my money again and feel low/miserable/sad/defeated, my anxiety will get worse by going there and losing again, I'll call a friend/family/councellor to talk to, or I'll take time for me to de-stress and enjoy/reward myself by eating out, go shopping for myself or I'll buy something new for my home, my friends & family will be proud of me for not going there, i'm committed to my 100 day challenge, I'll record how I feel by coming here and writing about it, I'll do something productive so I can focus on better things like a hobbie/interest I haven't done for a long time, I need a holiday/new car/new furniture so I am not going for a gamble play because I will lose and I need to save for my goals, I need money for finances/groceries/helping others like my partner or children or just myself with expenses so I will not go to gaming because I will lose all my money there.
    Other than the ones I've said, there are so many more positives you can tell yourself for will power and the urges will get easier & less, & a lot more manageable.
    You can do it :) Suzy
    0 x
    suz-free

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 am

Day 24. I've just passed the 3 weeks battle of being GF. What I noticed is that week 1 was quite easy - particularly with my anxieties, week 2 was moderate and week 3 got a little more challenging. Though I've been feeling empowered I've been having terrible anxiety and missed feelings of escaping there this past weekend. I even had a dream that I was playing on the machines. Last night I battled to sleep, had to take a sleeping tablet to help a bit. This morning I'm still not feeling the best so I'm listening to Christian uplifting music to soothe my troubled mind. My urges today are that I want to block my anxieties by escaping there so I don't have these terrible thoughts at home. I become very shut down and scared when I feel like this of battling my mind. My partner is at work and Hobart is having strong winds out there so I can't go outside.
    Now I'm asking myself was it because I was in that environment twice last week when I got free coffee ? Maybe just stepping in that environment was a negativity. I'm glad I didn't gamble and walked out after the coffee, but perhaps I better stay right away from entering those venue doors. Free coffee is great but being there was pyscological to the mind, reminders of what I could be doing. So I wouldn't advise anyone on this challenge of getting coffee there unless you know you are completely feeling safe within yourself/strong and uneffected to the sounds of the machines there. My new challenge to reach week 4 is not entering those venue doors at all, I'm better off buying a 1 dollar coffee from 7 eleven or Caltex petrol station and sitting outside somewhere or if my money allows, a nice coffee from the coffee club if I'm out at the shopping complex. I will see if my anxieties ease off and if I'm not here earlier, let you all know how I'm going by the end of the week. Also, I read that a few weeks into the challenge sad thoughts might sneak in so I'm hoping this is just a stage of my 100 day challenge and that things will get much better.
    0 x
    Mona58

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Really glad your going strong Suzy .

l don't know how you could have gone in there. ... I think that was brave. It would have taken a lot mental & physical energy out of you. Good idea to make changes. Small steps.
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”