starting the challenge today

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!

Re: starting the challenge today

Postby Tony » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:11 am

Cheers for the reply
U are correct about limiting access to cash. That helps for me also, but I can't help think our attitude to cash is part of the problem.
When I gamble the cash don't matter until it's all gone👹 I really think this forum is going to help me, all the things I have read over the years of trying in vain to quit suggested it, but of course I knew best so I never tried it. The fact that we are all on this forum is a great sign we can help each other to beat this **** habit. We must be serious about quit gambling to be on this forum.
Next urge I get I will be straight on here
Tony

Postby DFP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 am

Well done Joy, and congratulations.

Welcome Tony. I totally agree with your post around thinking you can't afford things (family holiday etc) but finding thousands to put in the machines. This dynamic went through my mind at the weekend. My son is having a birthday soon. On Sunday, I bought him an IPad - I had the money as I have not been on the pokies for over the month. If I was still gambling, I'd be thinking that I could not possibly afford anything so extravagant. In reality, the money was less than I'd waste on a single bad visit to those machines. I felt good from using my money constructively.
I rely day to day on having very limited access to cash. This works well for me, and I believe it is a fundamental baseline safety strategy.
All the very best Tony - stay in touch, stay strong, start the challenge and start to get back to the real you.
DFP
Always a 'work in progress'
DFP

Postby Tony » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:45 pm

Reading other people's posts really helps. Once I realised we all go thru the same feelings of self loathing it gave me strength. When I'm gambling I always look around at the others and think they are losers. People tapping the screen or special taps on the buttons, I know I'm an escape gambler.
That's why when I win, I always put it and more back in.
I too have given up every night and taken it back up next day.
Self loathing does not work for me. I have been gambling since I was 18, I'm now 44.
I don't do the key thing of rewarding myself because I think I can't afford a $1000 guitar, or a holiday for the whole family. I know realise that's crap, I can find $1000 every week for gambling. I have spent $400 000 on gambling. Wow
I have actually realised that's a positive, I started gambling for money to buy the things I thought I couldn't afford. Now I realise, if I stop now, I can have anything I want. I must stop now, because if it keeps going I'm gonna run out of time.
Good luck everyone.
Tony

No more button pushing

Postby Joy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Last edited by Joy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Last edited by Joy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joy

Postby Stacey knox » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 am

Thank you joy.Yes ever step counts. Thank you for your support. I have been to my frist meeting .
Stacey knox

Postby Joy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Last edited by Joy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joy

Postby Stacey knox » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Thank you jerry yes it has been a big step in the right direction. I do feel this is going to be a long raid to recovery. But I have done the right thing. It's good to feel not so alone and to have people that are going though the same things.
Stacey knox

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am

Congratulations Stacey,

Having the courage to take the leap and join the 100 day challenge will change your life.

It's a difficult journey but you don't have to do it alone.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Stacey knox » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi my name is Stacey and this is the start of my recovery. I'm going to take the leap and start the 100 day challenge.
Stacey knox

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge