Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 1 LET'S GO!

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    chappy80

Day 1 LET'S GO!

Sat May 21, 2022 2:53 pm

Finally admitted today to a family member that I have a problem. Felt good to get it off my chest finally but feeling incredibly embarrassed and angry that i've let it get this bad. Feeling stressed and overwhelmed about how to overcome this but feeling strong that I have the support of those around me to help.

Day by day I will beat this. Day 1 of the 100 day challenge begins today. Let's get through this together and keep each other accountable to work towards a better future for ourselves, because we deserve it!
    1 x
    Printemps

Re: Day 1 LET'S GO!

Sat May 21, 2022 3:53 pm

@chappy80 Taking the step of telling a family member show so much courage and strength! Good on you for taking such a good first step!

Those feelings of embarrassment and anger are common. Its easy to beat ourselves up and ruminate on where we're at now, but the most important thing too focus on is the fact that you've taken the plunge and are setting yourself up o the road to recovery!

What techniques do you have in place currently to support yourself?
    0 x
    spentitallagain

Sat May 21, 2022 10:56 pm

Good on ya @chappy80

Takes a lot of balls to admit you have a problem…

Keep coming back there is strong research evidence that interaction with online forums/communities is a strong treatment method for gambling problems. Keep coming on and stay strong 💪
    0 x
    chappy80

Tue May 24, 2022 4:19 pm

Trying to tell myself that these feelings of stress and uncertainty surrounding financial difficulty are only going to be temporary. Trying to take it one day at a time towards building a more financially stable future for myself.

Learning what my triggers are in relation to gambling and trying to mitigate these by keeping myself busy and refocusing my attentions towards other things. Changing my mind set that trying to win money and win back losses isn't the solution, it's consuming and although I may win some money, in the end I always lose it all. The only way forward and towards a better future for myself is to work hard and treasure every dollar I earn. The recovery will be a slow process and I may have feelings of stress surrounding money for quite some time before I can resist the gambling urges and work towards my savings goals and a happier future for myself.

It's difficult to not let the negative thoughts surrounding previous gambling habits get me down, thinking about where I would be at financially without these problems is something i'm really struggling with and comparing my financial situation with others around me is a struggle. But trying to change my mindset to start focusing on the future and looking forward rather than dwelling on previous mistakes.
    3 x
    spentitallagain

Wed May 25, 2022 2:55 pm

Keep it up chappy!

Love the reflection, that's right, you just have to think about what got you into this financial position in the first place..

Grovel and chip away one day at a time. The buck will swing eventually!! Hang in there mate!
    0 x
    gzy3

Thu May 26, 2022 10:17 am

Hi @chappy80

Your reflection on what has happened and determination to keep the positive mindset is wonderful.
    It can get hard at times but that is okay. You are surely moving forward day by day.
    How have things been lately since your last post?
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat May 28, 2022 5:10 pm

hey @chappy80 I just wanted to see how you've been going this week?
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”