Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New Year and the start of recovery

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Judes

Re: New Year and the start of recovery

Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:39 am

Hello @Dr.Semaj and @Spartan - am going really well! Day #21 today. I am feeling quite strong about not going near the pokies, however I had decided I would still allow myself to have $50 a week on Keno. This week I played 3 times that so have decided this non-gambling needs to include Keno as I can also now see that it could escalate and potentially lead me back to pokies. Even though it is not a lot of money I lost - I felt crap that I had not stuck to my original plan!

I am supposed to head out west today to see my family for the week however a close friend has tested positive for COVID and I was with her on Monday so am just waiting to see how I go.

@Dr.Semaj I am also a “chick” not a “bloke” lol ….
    2 x
    Spartan

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 am

Hi @Jude @Dr.Semaj

Today marks 3 weeks gamble free. It’s random that I don’t make too much of these landmarks within myself as I know I’m always one step away from relapse.

I start a few nightshifts from tonight so it makes things a bit easier as I sleep through the day. For me during recovery I try to hold onto things that are my own individual familiarity. It ranges from my interests, tv shows, memories or day to day things to provide comfort. I can’t look too far in the future because over the past 20 years I’ve never stuck to a recovery plan forever.

Hopefully you can distract yourselves enough to avoid this insidious illness. Even if it’s the most simplest of distraction to get you past the temptation wave then that’s a ‘win’.

Stay strong
    1 x
    Dr.Semaj

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:58 am

Judes wrote:
    Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:39 am
    Hello @Dr.Semaj and @Spartan - am going really well! Day #21 today. I am feeling quite strong about not going near the pokies, however I had decided I would still allow myself to have $50 a week on Keno. This week I played 3 times that so have decided this non-gambling needs to include Keno as I can also now see that it could escalate and potentially lead me back to pokies. Even though it is not a lot of money I lost - I felt crap that I had not stuck to my original plan!

I am supposed to head out west today to see my family for the week however a close friend has tested positive for COVID and I was with her on Monday so am just waiting to see how I go.

@Dr.Semaj I am also a “chick” not a “bloke” lol ….
    Hi @Judes Nice to hear from you again .
    I am so embarrassed right now for calling you a bloke haha. I truly assumed you are a male. I don't know why. Maybe because of contract work out in the west haha. I really do apologise for that. It is my bad.
    Congrats on day 21. It is so good that you are on track on your 100 days gamble free. I just hope it is getting easier for you to resist the pokies. Keep it up.
    1 x
    Dr.Semaj

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:06 am

Spartan wrote:
    Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:35 am
    Hi @Jude @Dr.Semaj

Today marks 3 weeks gamble free. It’s random that I don’t make too much of these landmarks within myself as I know I’m always one step away from relapse.

I start a few nightshifts from tonight so it makes things a bit easier as I sleep through the day. For me during recovery I try to hold onto things that are my own individual familiarity. It ranges from my interests, tv shows, memories or day to day things to provide comfort. I can’t look too far in the future because over the past 20 years I’ve never stuck to a recovery plan forever.

Hopefully you can distract yourselves enough to avoid this insidious illness. Even if it’s the most simplest of distraction to get you past the temptation wave then that’s a ‘win’.

Stay strong
    Hey @Spartan Great to see you posting again. Congrats on still gamble free. Ugh!!! Night shifts. The last time I worked on graveyard shift was back in 2008. I swear that I will never work night shift again if I could help it. I worked night shift for 5 years straight at Australia Post when I was younger. I dont think I could do that again. Yes sleeping through the day would help stay away from your poison. I realised gambling online is a lot harder to give up because you do not need to get out of the house to gamble.

Keep strong mate.
    1 x
    Judes

Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:09 pm

@Dr.Semaj And @Spartan how are you both? I am enjoying Day#27 and have been able to resist temptation even though my family have played the pokies since I have been visiting! Feeling really strong and continue to focus on how I feel now that my life is pokies-free! Pretty Awesome!!! I have forgiven myself for the past and am learning to like me again without the BS!
    1 x
    Judes

Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:38 am

@Dr.Semaj and @Spartan DAY#31! Cannot believe I have gone a full month without going to the pokies! I am feeling really focussed and determined and keeping vigilant. As soon as I have a thought in that direction I immediately revert to how my gambling free life makes me feel!
    1 x
    gzy3

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:38 am

Hi @Judes congratulations on DAY#31!
    That shows your strong determination that you would like a life without gambling totally and you are stepping toward is really steadily.
    How has your past few days been? Keep it going!
    0 x
    Printemps

Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:33 am

heya @Judes @Spartan and @Dr.Semaj

How are you al going?

@Judes you must be on day 40 now! how are you feeling?
    0 x
    Judes

Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:50 pm

@Printemps ; @Dr.Semaj ; @Spartan
    Hello Printemps - yes Day#40 today. Feeling really strong and focussed on kicking this! I have really stepped up with the exercise and try and get out around 05:00am to set my day up for success! I find the self development audios keep me from thinking about gambling too much! Really weird that last week I dreamt twice that I had a lot of money in my wallet and lost the lot on the pokies - the feeling was like it used to be. I was so relieved when I woke up and realised it was a dream! Looking forward to Day#50!
    1 x
    Dr.Semaj

Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:58 pm

Hi @Judes

How are you doing with the gambling free challenge?

I have reached my 40 days gambling free.

Hope you and @Spartan are doing well.
    2 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”