Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 0 but feeling determined

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Menz199

Day 0 but feeling determined

Sat May 01, 2021 12:01 am

Hi all
    After relapsing for the upteempth time last night and feeling really depressed and angry with myself for relapsing, my problem is the poker machines. I thought I should jump on here. I been battling this problem on and off for 6 years now. After reading some great stories of others, i feel a bit better, yes it will take time, but I feel determined to fight this problem once and for all.

I have come up with a few strategies this time that should help motivate me to keep up the fight. This is a first for me, as I normally just promise to stop, do so for a few days, then normally crash come next pay day.

I cut up my membership card to the local RSL club I go to this morning, deleted banking apps off my phone, so I can’t as easily transfer funds around. Logged out from all social media apps, as I feel I spend too much time on them and sometimes feel mentally drained afterwards, just like the pokies do. Found an app I’m going to experiment with called ‘I am Sober’’ which keeps track of when you stopped and gives you other advice, I like it so far. I will aim to try and post here, so I try and keep a journal of sorts and also keep reading others stories for more motivation.

It’s been a good day so far ;);

Apologies if I have repeated myself in places but it is late.

Have a good weekend everyone, and keep up the good fight.

Let’s do this challenge ;); 0/100
    1 x
    TheTiges

Re: Day 0 but feeling determined

Sat May 01, 2021 11:51 am

hey @Menz199 ,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm happy to hear that the stories here have been so inspiring, you sound really determined which is a great place to start from! The strategies you've got in place sound fantastic, it might also be worthwhile checking out the blog for a few other tips, you can find them here - https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/blog

Using this space as a journal is a great way to keep motivated and get support from other community members. The best approach is to take it one day at a time and to look after yourself!

I'm looking forward to hearing your journey :);
    0 x
    Menz199

Sat May 01, 2021 10:47 pm

Thanks @TheTiges i would check out your suggestions when I get a chance. :D

Today was a good day, Im away visiting some relatives this weekend so I feel no temptation at all. Always nice to catch up with family I don’t see too often. I did go for a walk which also helped. I did do a little reflecting on myself and even looked at my previous attempts at the 100 day challenge on here and can see a big change in myself from those earlier attempts.

Yes relapses have happened, but I have over the past year or so, been able to abstain from gambling for longer periods of time. Last year was a tough year and crashed several times. But it was a tough year for all of us.

Day 1/100 still feeling good and winning the battle so far :);
    1 x
    TheTiges

Sun May 02, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi @Menz199,

How's Day 2/100 going?

Really cool you're able to read your own past attempts here and reflect on them. It's not about how many times we start over but starting each time from a point of more experience than previously.

Looking forward to read how you keep going.

And please reach out anytime, we're here for you. :);
    1 x
    Menz199

Sun May 02, 2021 11:15 pm

Thanks again @TheTiges
    That is a great point, day 2 was good spent a good deal of the day driving home, (driving through Sydney’s never much fun and always getting busier by the day) but otherwise good. Pretty tired since I got home, so I’ll be keeping this post short.

Back to work tomorrow, so should be a good week, my main triggers are days off and payday so will have to be strong on those days, and implement strategies if necessary.

Have a great week also @TheTiges and thanks for your support.

Day 2/100 very tired but confident in this battle
    1 x
    Menz199

Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 pm

Day 3 was good, was at work all day and caught up with a friend I hadn’t seen in a little while. :);

Otherwise very tired and better be off to bed, so unfortunately another short post, but better than nothing right.

3/100 still feeling good
    2 x
    Printemps

Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am

Hey @Menz199 ,

Catching up with an old friend is a great way to keep busy! it sounds like day three was a good one for you!

Keep us updated! :);
    0 x
    Menz199

Tue May 04, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks @Printemps yes it was a good day, today’s going alright. Works a bit slow at the moment.
    0 x
    Menz199

Tue May 04, 2021 11:16 pm

Day 4/100 had a rough day but still going ok
    Will explain tomorrow
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed May 05, 2021 8:48 am

Hey @Menz199,

I'm really glad you're still going ok.