We've had a makeover! Read all about it here.

Welcome to our community of support for anyone affected by problems relating to gambling - those with lived experience, friends and family.
The forums are a great place to make friends and connect with peers, keep track of your recovery efforts, be inspired and motivated by others, be liberated, share your strategies and help others.

Newbie and ready to break this habit

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
How the F did I get here

Re: Newbie and ready to break this habit

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:29 am

Hi Want to be free,

Well I definitely can relate to you. I also am a single mum. I was gamble free for 5 years, pregnancy til my kid was 4, then I think I just got bored, lonely perhaps and I fell back into it, time to myself like you say to zone out.
And for me the guilt gets me bad, the guilt of why aren't I strong enough to give this up for my kid!!

I get depressed thinking of the round the world trips I could have taken my kid on, or the large amount of money I could have used for a deposit for a little place for my kid and I.

Anyway you are in the right place, I hope we can both do it, for ourselves but more importantly for our kids.
Good luck and all the best!!
X
1 x
Soz501

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi I am a newbie too and looking for support. Just can’t do this anymore and don’t want to buy can’t stop. Compulsive poker machine player. Lying to husband feel so bad.
1 x
Mona80

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi there
I have been doing this all my life and never won bigger enough to stop
On the weekend I win 7000 and put it all back
It never forget
1 x
BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:52 am

Hi want2befree, welcome to the forums.

Well done on coming here, sharing your story and making steps to change.

There are many in our community with similar stories, triggers and urges to you, and I'm sure they will be able to support you and give you some ideas of things which help.

I look forward to reading about your journey.

BrittV, community manager
1 x
want2befree

Newbie and ready to break this habit

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Today I signed up for this forum, I do not want to cut back on how much I gamble I just want to stop. I have tried different things such as giving people my cards so I don’t get tempted, but I always find a way, when you get the urge it’s easy to just walk into the bank and withdraw money. I plan how I’m going to get my money and think about the money i have lost by gambling and am addicted to chasing it back. I have hit rock bottom. I am a single mum and I work 2 jobs, sometimes up to 60hrs a week. I don’t have any debt and don’t owe people money but find that I could be working less and saving more if I beat my habit. I pay my bills but find any extra money I just put it through the pokies. I have so much guilt doing this, I chase what I have lost and when I do win I just put it back in as I want more. I hate the fact that I could be working less and spending more time with my kids if only I could break the habit. The pokies for me is an escape from the busy, stressful world, where I hope to win big and can give my family the life they deserve. Reality is I’m not going to get rich playing the pokies, I just need to have the strength to stop.
2 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”