Day 1 of 100 - time to commit to a real change!

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!

Re: Day 1 of 100 - time to commit to a real change!

Postby BrittV (facilitator) » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 am

Welcome to the forums Liz :)

Love your list there JC! I completely agree that step 1 is forgiving yourself. Amazing.

Liz I thought you may also benefit from having a read through the 'Making a change' area of the website if you haven't yet - lots of great notes in there.
https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/making-a-change

How'd you go over the weekend?
Looking forward to reading about your journey.
BrittV (facilitator)

Postby tennisstar (facilitator) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Dear Liz83,

This is tennisstar, one of the senior forum moderators. Well done on taking the courage to post, we appreciate that it's not easy to do.
It sounds like you're really motivated to make a change to your gambling, and are insightful of its repercussions. I get a sense too that you're feeling a bit stuck on how to make that first step towards commitment and your recovery journey, which is not uncommon. There are many supports available for people in the community, and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on giving the Gambler's Helpline a call on 1800 858 858? They are staffed 24/7 with professional gambling counsellors, and will be able to shed some light on some helpful approaches for you (such as face-to-face and structured telephone counselling, self-exclusion, and Gambler's Anonymous), with all these services being free. Talking to a counsellor can be really helpful for putting some strategies in to reduce your gambling, uncovering ways to tolerate urges and evaluate your triggers, in addition to providing you with emotional guidance and support. In addition, the counsellor will take a non-judgmental approach to your presenting concerns, are empathetic and sensitive, and will work with you collaboratively to develop a plan for you to regain control, reach your goals, and boost your motivation.

What are other people's thoughts , ideas, or past experiences on taking that first step? Thank-you for taking the time and bravery to post, and please don't hesitate to reach out when in need.

Warm regards,

tennisstar
tennisstar (facilitator)

Postby Jc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see youre posting.

The best things you can do:

1. Forgive yourself. Because the more you dwell on the past and your mistakes, the more you’ll be filled with self loathing and hatred. And that will drive you towards gambling. Remember you cannot undo the past, but you can always change the future.
2. Identify triggers. What triggers you to gamble? Is it a coping mechanism for when you feel down? Do you gamble to let off steam? Once you identify triggers, make strategies in order to overcome them.
3. The Buzz. I used to gamble on sports everyday. And everyday I had this ‘buzz’ (in science terms its dopamine). After abstaining for a few days you’ll start to crave that buzz, whether its the sights/sounds of pokies or the thrill of a sports bet. You need to be able to stay away. Find your true reasoning. I kept lapsing after a week because I was succumbing to my urges. Find your true purpose on why you want to quit, in order to fight through these urges. Once you keep abstaining eventually you’ll slow the urges (but they wont die down completely). I’m turning 27, been working for a while with little to show for it. All my friends are moving forward in life, marriage, housing etc, and then there was me - broke and depressed all because of my own doing.
4. If it applies to you, get rid of all enablers. Ie people that enable you to gamble.
5. Self exclusion.

Thats all for now but theres a lot more just need to think of them
Jc

Day 1 of 100 - time to commit to a real change!

Postby Liz83 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi All,

First time posting on this forum but have been thinking about it for a while.

Needing to take the first step to get out of this awful gambling cycle that has been my life for the past 16 years (since I turned 18). I don't want to spend one more day throwing away the opportunities and finances I could be using to do all the things I should be doing with my family. I am miserable and gambling just makes me more miserable.
I want to be happy and free of the burden of having gambling in the back of my mind all the time.

I guess i'm just not sure how to commit to taking the first step and making it real.
Maybe putting it in writing here will help me commit to it!

Would love any words of wisdom.
Liz83

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge