My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Postby Cazza » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:33 am

Well done on 7 days, stay strong and enjoy your family time. I have started noticing my moods aren't as up and down as the days go by to. Are you finding this to be the same? Stay strong 😊
Cazza

Postby Jo-Anne » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi again Chilaxis......fantastic that you are being so strong......it certainly does get easier each day.....have a great weekend!!.....Jo
Jo-Anne

Postby chilaxis » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:37 am

Mona58 wrote:It was not a mistake...

Well done! Chilaxis!

Haha... yes I may have subconsciously denied myself! Thanks Mona :)

Day-7 GF. Managed to do what I planned this morning, prayed and meditated first thing in the morning instead of checking livescore.com. One day at a time.
chilaxis

Postby Mona58 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 pm

It was not a mistake...

Well done! Chilaxis!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby chilaxis » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks for your encouragements and words of advice Mona and Jo!

Almost slipped this morning.

1. Yesterday I watched as shares I've invested in (for a long time) slipped in value.
2. I calculated that at this time last year, I had four times of what I have now.
3. Felt so sad that I lost 75% of my wealth within 1 year (shares value dropping plus my new-found addiction of sports-betting)
4. Urge to want to gamble to make up losses quickly came inching back.
5. Early this morning, as I woke up I went livescore.com to see that Burnley vs. Chelsea coming up.
6. Rational me and Risk-Junkie me had a MAJOR tussle on whether to place a bet inside my head as the odds look so good for Burnley to upset Chelsea, Risk Junkie said "You win, you'll win $2000 for your family.", but Rational me said :- "You bet, you'll lose another $2500. Think of your family."
7. In the last moment before the match begun, Risk-Junkie me had a stranglehold on rational me.
8. I decided to bet on Burnley to win or draw at an odds of 1.80
9. I initiated transfer of money from my business account to my personal account (which is linked to my gambling account)
10. Instead I made a mistake and transferred money to my business credit card
11. The bet offer closed as the game had already begun.
12. I watched the game for 2 hours anyway without betting and saw Chelsea won the game 2-1. If I had made a bet online before the game, I would've lost another $2500!!

I almost slipped and lost another $2500 but for a mistake I made when doing the fund transfer.

Looking back at the triggers to my gambling:-
1. Watching daily fluctuation of share price. (--> Should ignore share price fluctuations and only look at company reports to drive investment decisions on a quarterly basis instead.)
2. The habit of browsing football match schedules once I wake up in the morning. (--> Should meditate and pray first thing in the morning instead)
3. Not applying coping mechanism when sad thoughts of money lost hits me. (--> Should meditate and pray when such thoughts hit instead)

Thankfully (but embarrassingly) - 6 Days Gambling-Free.

Making notes of these triggers today so I can draw them out from the shadows and put them out into the light, and be able to look back and be wary of these triggers in the future.

Onward and forward - back to concentrating at work to earn/save money the right way.
chilaxis

Postby Jo-Anne » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 pm

chilaxis wrote:Past Day-5 gambling free. Working hard at work to claw back every cent I lost through gambling. No turning back.

Chilaxis.....Well done on achieving day 5.....so happy for you......you must be feeling very good.....every day not gambling is a win!!! Cheers Jo :))
Jo-Anne

Postby Mona58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Well done!

Maybe not think about losses! Think about what you WILL gain by not gambling! Changing mindset very important to stay gamble free ... One day at a time!

Mona
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby chilaxis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 am

Past Day-5 gambling free. Working hard at work to claw back every cent I lost through gambling. No turning back.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:43 pm

SickOfThePunt wrote:Oh how I wish I’d never got this deep.... the weekends absolutely smash me , so many race meetings on , I find myself hiding with my phone to check results and see if my horses would’ve won had I put a bet on. What a vicious cycle. I try to stay busy, I try and stay distracted, but it’s so damn easy to slip! It’s so accessible too, all I need to do is open the app and press the Deposit button and viola - there’s $1000 for betting!
I’d hate to think how much I’ve spent, how much I’ve lied and how many hours I have chosen to spend doing this over spending that time with my family.

I have now blocked all gambling apps on my iPhone, have deleted them as well. . And closed the accounts. Funny I always seemed to be able to find a new provider to open a brand new account and there I was again, slipping back into the darkness that controlled my life.
Day 2 for me today. I feel positive yet skeptical. I’ve been here before, and have always failed , I’m going to cook . I want the distraction and my husband always loved my cooking.

Good luck for another day of willpower!

Good on you for blocking all gambling apps on my iPhone SickOfThePunt! It will be a deterrent to gambling.

I think I face the same problem as you, in that when the risk-junkie me took over my body, even though I've blocked/self-excluded myself from a site, I'll always find my way back to another provider.

I've been trying to tackle the root cause, i.e. convincing myself of a very good reason not to gamble. One way is to convince the risk-junkie me that with each bet I take while watching football, it will cost $240 a game, this is evidenced by me placing 92 sports bets and losing 92 x $240 = $22,100. Why not watch the sport for FREE instead and save money for my wife and my kids' ?

One other experience I can share is, last week my strategy when my risk-junkie self tells me "you have to win back that lost $22k asap", last week my thought response to this 'challenge' was :- "I'll work hard to save up $50m in wealth then put 2% of my wealth, i.e. $1m stake in ONE last safe 1.03 bet to win back my $30k!" - but that didn't help as (1) $50m is virtually beyond my reach within my lifetime (2) It made me think that low risk bets were invincible. So eventually I fell into the trap when the urge came, I placed my ONE last safe bet prematurely with a $2.5k stake on Adelaide to beat Collingwood - fat good it did me as the $2.5k was sucked from me within just a few hours of football!

Now when the same "Win back your money asap" challenge comes from my risk-junkie self, I've changed my counter-thought to :- "No betting. I'll save up $1m in wealth then put $1m into term deposit for 1 year at 3% to win back my $30k!" - I think this motivates me much better to stay away from gambling as (1) $1m..although difficult, is within reach within my lifetime [gotta work hard though!] ; and (2) it takes my mind away from gambling and try to build wealth slowly; and (3) no chance of a sports upset :)

Day-4 GF -- one day at a time.
chilaxis

Postby SickOfThePunt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 am

Oh how I wish I’d never got this deep.... the weekends absolutely smash me , so many race meetings on , I find myself hiding with my phone to check results and see if my horses would’ve won had I put a bet on. What a vicious cycle. I try to stay busy, I try and stay distracted, but it’s so damn easy to slip! It’s so accessible too, all I need to do is open the app and press the Deposit button and viola - there’s $1000 for betting!
I’d hate to think how much I’ve spent, how much I’ve lied and how many hours I have chosen to spend doing this over spending that time with my family.

I have now blocked all gambling apps on my iPhone, have deleted them as well. . And closed the accounts. Funny I always seemed to be able to find a new provider to open a brand new account and there I was again, slipping back into the darkness that controlled my life.
Day 2 for me today. I feel positive yet skeptical. I’ve been here before, and have always failed , I’m going to cook . I want the distraction and my husband always loved my cooking.

Good luck for another day of willpower!
SickOfThePunt

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge