Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Real time chat

Keep up with important announcements and share any feedback, questions and suggestions for the team. We’d love to hear from you!
    TimTam

Re: Real time chat

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am

Hi @Dyl

Its great you have come to these forums, hopefully you can find support and guidance from the members.
    Just like any unhealthy habit it can be extremely difficult to break and can be incredibly frustrating and damaging.
    However, it is possible to change. There are many people on here that have stopped gambling.
    Have you looked into the 100 day challenge? The goal is to go 100 days gambling free
    Alternatively you can call the helpline on 1800 858 858 to speak to one of our gambling counsellors to get some help.
    All the best
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:08 am

@admin_or
    Any chance we can get the real time chat considered again?

Is it not possible to have a chat room area, where people enter if they want?
    Or there's an option on your profile which says whether you accept chat requests or not?
    Or only people who agree to want to chat can be contacted that way there's no pressure on someone that doesn't/or awkwardness by not accepting requests.

When things go back to normal, I so desperately want to stay on this path, but what can I say I'm weak.

No, I do not want to speak to a gambling councillor on here, they do nothing for me, been there done that, GA, I hate public speaking, absolutely hate it.

Would love to be able to chat with people who I relate, who understand me, like how I do with friends on messenger, but those friends don't know my dirty little secret.

Tbh, not much goes on in here a lot of the time, the posts/responses are few and far between. Be so beneficial to have something like that on here, instant banter and support when you need it.

And from what I've seen, chatty Tuesday is not very chatty at all.
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi @How the F did I get here ,

Thank you for your suggestion on this.
    We moderators, understand that real time chat is a function that some members believe would be helpful to them and I'm sure it would be both useful and convenient as well.
    However, operationally speaking on the forums there is always one of our team members moderating posts and also contributing to the forums, and having a real time chat would mean it would go unmoderated and potentially compromise the safety of some members.
    Our main focus on the forums is to create a safe platform to encourage members such as yourself to share experiences and get support from other members.
    Thankyou for your suggestion and the feedback, we appreciate your contribution on the forums. :)

Calvin
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:52 pm

🤦"Sigh"
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:33 pm

I was going to leave it at my face palm and sigh, as I don't want to be "that person" the complainer. But I do want to say one thing.

In the 2 to 3 years I've been on here I have not seen one post or comment that raised my eyebrows even in the slightest in regards to inappropriate interactions between members. Bullying or those of a sexual nature.
    So there's not much moderating going on in that regard if you ask me.

Mental health, self harm and suicide watch, yeah I totally see the need for there to be moderators on here.

It's a shame this site can't be more progressive and implement additional tools which would be beneficial to some.

Anyway I'll shut up now!
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks for your reply.

For the majority of the time the forums has been operating, we are so fortunate to have such great members that respect the community guidelines. We really do appreciate this.
    On the odd occasion there would be a post whether that be spam or otherwise that may breach the guidelines and we take action accordingly, in line with guidelines. All members have been respectful and cooperative in this way as we try to be also.

Its not that we don't trust members in the real chat, its more about it going unmonitored and its also a matter of respecting anonymity within the community.
    I do apologize that we are unable to provide this function, and we do respect your feedback.
    Are there any other suggestions on things you might want to see more of on the forums?
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Oh yes, sorry I forget Spam is the only thing really that mods need to remove!

Exactly, anonymity!! And that is another reason why some of us may not want to attend GA!

As Brit did mention before try GA!
    I would much prefer to be able to connect with people on here and maintain my anominity. Which I can't see why anonymity would be any different in real time messaging on here.
    Anyway I'm flogging a dead horse here!
    Thank you for your time!
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:45 pm

Other than Spam sometimes there are posts that are removed by moderators if they are deemed to be a breach, and they're usually removed and communicated with the user as soon as possible so then that person has the opportunity to re-edit and repost. :)

Are there any other suggestions/ideas you wanted to pass to the team?
    1 x
    Mona58

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:32 am

Hi HFDYGH

l understand totally where you're coming from. l remember a member had set up a facebook page for the likes of us. I cannot recall his/her name or post. Perhaps you could do a search or something? I don't have Facebook so I never joined. l do wonder at times if it was successful.

I do wonder though whether some kind of single continuous thread would be helpful? I don't do that either! ha ha but I mean it is in keeping up popular trends.

l also understand the "moderating" of the "forums" out of concern BUT I had also felt that removing the PM facility was a bit ... undemocratic.

Mona
    1 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    How the F did I get here

Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi @Mona58
    Glad to know that I don't sound like a **** and you understand why I think it might be useful.

Brit did start the whole chatty Tuesday thread, but tbh it was not chatty at all.

That FB group sounds good, but at the same time you loose your anonymity there which I'm not really for unless I was connecting with people quite some time prior.

It's just so quiet on here most the time, would be so good to have a means to be in a chat group.

Half of the time I reply to the posts that have barely any responses just because no one's around. Though I admit lately haven't been doing much on here.

Yes I agree about the private messages. Should be still an option.
    But I guess they think we're children.

Anyway how are you going? You like Pamela have been around for quite some time now. I know you've both given so much encouragement and support to so many over the years.
    0 x

Return to “Feedback, Queries & Announcements”