Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • how long are online counsellors trained for: i was spoken down too like i dont know what!??

Keep up with important announcements and share any feedback, questions and suggestions for the team. We’d love to hear from you!
    GameChanger (facilitator)

RE: how long are online counsellors trained for: i was spoken down too like i dont know what!??

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi Hopeful,

thanks for contributing to this thread, it's always helpful to hear of people's interactions with counselling services. As a gambling counselor and moderator I can only respond with surprise and outrage that you were told to just stop. I would feel hurt and invalidated and it's a comment that doesn't seem to respect your experience of battling this destructive issue. However, I'm also pleased to hear that you're finding this forum and Gamber's Annonymous helpful.
    0 x
    Pokieseveywhere

Re: how long are online counsellors trained for: i was spoken down too like i dont know what!??

Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:04 am

The reality is people, the govt has to show some inkling of care, hence these rubbish help lines...we have gambling everywhere, its a 5 mi n ute walk, in China they dont allow, not to suppress their people, but to save them from destruction, if they want to gamble they have to fly to macau, so it is a once off.
    Now im educated, degree on finance invested smartly all through my early life, started gambling 7 years ago and lost everything millions, including my retirement fund and im not even 60 yet....but one thing i will be setting up is that gambling is NOT 100% your responsibility, they want you to believe that so it takes away their responsibility...the thing with these help lines you reach out when your tapped out, its amazing the govt and venues have nothing in place to recognise the problem, ie going into club everyday, losing $400 an hour, where did money come from, are they addicted.....no they do this when there is nothing left, to get rid of the problem.....no people, its not your fault, its time Govt and venues, and of course the one group that flys under the radar, Aristocrat Leisure, start taking responsibility....
    0 x
    Here4help

Re: how long are online counsellors trained for: i was spoken down too like i dont know what!??

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:47 am

Hi,
    Im new here i thought i would give this ago as i'm tired of the same crap day in day out, im not sure where to start but iam here.
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:11 am

Here4help wrote:
    Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:47 am
    Hi,
    Im new here i thought i would give this ago as i'm tired of the same crap day in day out, im not sure where to start but iam here.
    Hi @Here4help,
    Joining the forums is definitely a start, so well done for reaching out for support as this can often be one of the hardest steps!
    As a starting point, there's two tools you can use straight away: self-exclusion from venues and software apps such as Gamban to block gambling apps from your phone and computer.
    Another option is trying out the 100 Day Challenge on here. This is a great tool to help you track your progress and strategies, reflect on urges and cravings, while being supported by this wonderful community. :);
    Let us know if you have any questions we can help out with and keep us posted on how you're going.
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Moderator. Thanking you all for allowing me to be a part of your journeys and wishing you all the best! :);

Return to “Feedback, Queries & Announcements”