Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesday from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Real time chat

Keep up with important announcements and share any feedback, questions and suggestions for the team. We’d love to hear from you!
    clearthatmind

Re: Real time chat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:05 pm

Yeah, I don't really agree with your reasoning on not implementing instant chat hookups. I don't believe there is any pressure and if there was, the person can just stop the chat. No pressure! What you have to take into consideration is that people are not babies and are grown up enough to make their own decisions. You need to give that to people and give them the dignity to make their own mistakes and learn from them. In saying that however, I like your suggestions such as "virtual catchup" and "Riding the urge thread" and it would be interesting to hear feedback from others on that

Regards,
    1 x
    Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he will make your paths straight...Proverbs 3:5, 6
    BrittV (facilitator)

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks for your feedback @clearthatmind.
    I completely understand that everyone are adults, of course. However our service is a professionally moderated one and at this time remains as such.

I'm really glad to hear you like those ideas. I'll be taking to them to the team for ideas of the best way to run them soon. In the meantime would love to hear feedback from others as well !
    0 x
    Bear22

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:42 pm

@BrittV (facilitator) those suggestions are great and it would be awesome seeing them take off :);
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:55 am

Awesome @Bear22, great to hear!
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi @BrittV (facilitator)

Yep I'm back here!
    The virtual chat sounds a good idea to me. Setting a day and time or several different day and times, incase people have other commitments. I think this would be a good idea! That way yes a moderator etc is monitoring the chat if safety is the issue.

I do understand the fact that some members felt pressured in messages and you are concerned this may happen in real chat.
    But why can't it be a real time chat scenario where its optional to be in the chat?
    Instead of individual to individual, then how about it's a chat "room" say like fb messenger group chat.
    So you basically enter by choice.

So like how the forum shows ie 7 people online 2 registered and 5 guests, how about a part where its says there's currently so many people in chat. ( though half the problem and why I suggested the real time chat is because half the time there's no one even on here)

Or like if there was normal individual to individual instant messaging why can't you just decline a person you don't want to chat to? Or why can't you select an option on your profile ie happy to chat/not happy to chat?

Anybody that chooses to be involved in instant messaging then does so at their own risk. Though I'm not quite sure what you guys think is so unsafe about it?

And yes we all know we can 24/7 chat with helpline, but really tbh that's pointless for me and a lot of others. I've got more off this forum with the banter with other members than I ever have from an gambling counselor and that's why I believe the instant chat would be so beneficial to many people.
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:28 pm

@clearthatmind rthatmind
    Couldn't agree more! Just saw you message after I posted mine.
    The thing is I would love to have chat buddies from here that I can relate to, I know I would get so much from it and I'm pretty darned sure a lot of others would to.

This is a great forum, but very inactive at times.
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:33 pm

@brit See the Riding the urge thread sounds ok, problem is you say go there when you get the urge and others can offer support, the problem is a lot of times no one is around.
    Also are the moderators moderating 24/7?
    0 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:18 pm

Hey @How the F did I get here, Welcome back, it's nice to hear from you :) Sorry to hear about the circumstances but well done in having the strength to work to regain control. We've seen you do it before and look forward to seeing you do it again!!

Our service is limited to purely being a forum service.
    I hear what you're saying and appreciate your eagerness to have this in our service, but unfortunately it's not a service that we offer.
    If real time discussions are really beneficial to you at this time you may find that Gamblers Anonymous is valuable? I know that it's not the same of course but it's an option. Also you're always welcome to call the helpline on 1800 858 858 when you have an urge - it's anonymous and a counsellor will happily chat with you to help you move past an urge.

We're consistently working on growing our community and our resources are focused on this - making this forum as beneficial as possible for as many people as possible:) Hopefully this will help in the feeling of inactivity. We're not moderated 24/7, but throughout the day, every day.

It is great to hear though that you think that selecting a time would be beneficial though. It's in the pipeline and will be starting soon!!
    1 x

Return to “Feedback, Queries & Announcements”