Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Real time chat

Share any feedback, questions and suggestions for the team here. We’d love to hear from you!
    How the F did I get here

Real time chat

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi facilitators,

Was just wondering if there was any option for real time chat with members on here?
    I know you can chat with a counseller on here, but tbh I think real time chat with other members would be way more beneficial for some members.

I'm not even sure how many members access the chat with counsellors.

I know you can private message members on here, but I think chat would be great. Obviously for those that want to.

I have been coming on here a bit lately, there doesn't seem to be that much activity.
    It's great to post and reply, but there's no immediate interaction.

I think so many would get a lot out of being able to talk to others in a conversation, especially if it's coming here desperate or a time they feel weak and about to gamble.

And I have to say I've got more out of this forum reading and posting than I ever have at counseling (gambling counseling that is)
    To be able to real time chat like messenger I think would help even more.
    5 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Re: Real time chat

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:13 am

Hi How the F did I get here

Thank you for the post, I think that is a great idea, I forwarded your thoughts to the Community Manager.

Regards
    dragon007
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Hey Dragon,

That would be great for you to suggest.
    Just for people wanting to chat, as when you are a gambler or closet gambler if you are feeling down or shitty you can't talk to your friends or family if they don't know.

And if your loved ones do know, and you have promised them to not gamble again and you lapse, you can't talk to them either, especially if it was the last straw for the family if you gambled again.

I love this forum and it has helped heaps, but the problem is, if you post you may not get a response for a while sometimes.

I've not long come back, but that for me is the reason when I come on I always try to do as many support messages to other posts as possible.
    2 x
    onemorechance

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:06 pm

I agree, a real time chat messenger option would be fantastic.
    I have recently been asked to call people who are struggling which I am not too comfortable doing.
    This would help solve that issue and would give those in need a platform to chat to someone immediately. :cool:
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:20 am

Thanks so much for this feedback guys, really appreciate knowing how you guys feel we could improve your experience on here.

Please give us a little time to get back to you on this one :)
    0 x
    needing help

Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:16 pm

I was hoping there was something just like this! While I sat and cried and stared at the screen I made the decision to sign up. .....and it was empty
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Good to hear the suggestions everyone. Thankyou for sharing your thoughts.
    Just a reminder that you can get in touch via the Gamblers Helpline Webchat which is also live.
    Although it isn't a peer to peer support chat, it can provide some counselling and support 24 hours a day, especially for those times where you feel most vulnerable.

Kind regards,

Calvin
    1 x

Return to “Feedback and Queries”