Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • father gambling

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    betty

father gambling

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:12 pm

My father has had a gambling problem for years but now he is 78 years, and has nothing I feel he is worse than ever now, I"m really frustrated as he looks to me for help
    0 x
    POPEYE

RE: father gambling

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:23 pm

0 x
    betty

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:31 am

HI, I guess I didnt give too much detail, but yes he was a good father, its not the easiest thing to talk about, mum and dad split up 10 years agodue to his gambling, mum is now in a nursing home due to dementia, dad went back overseas so he has been going back and forth, he came back 6 months ago and as he is older he finds travelling hard now, he was staying with me for the last 6 months but i have an average home 3 br so it was a bit squashed, the main problem is he wont admit he has a problem , we have helped him in every way, financially and the rest, he lies and makes excuses, he is just 5 min away from me now in a studio apartment but i'm angry and sad that he blows his money on gambling then relies on me for food, which i dont mind when it comes to food but not when he does what he does, Im just all over the place right now, i have a husband who is a recovering alcoholic and 2 sons at home just feel like running away from all of them, thats not an option i consider but feel very frustrated right now.
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi Betty,Welcome to the forum! It'sgood to hear from you as having a parent with a gambling problem can be verystressful and it sounds like you have been through a lot with your father's gambling aswell as having to manage other issues in your family..... I canunderstand why you might like feel running away from all of them J...that's a lot of people you are thinking aboutand caring for! It sounds exhausting...The feelings of frustration, anger andsadness you mentioned are emotions that we often hear from family members. I am wondering if anybody else has been throughsomething similar and how did they manage the emotion as well as the financial requests for help?....Can Ialso ask Betty, how do you look after yourself amongst all of this?Take careAnna
    0 x
    POPEYE

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 pm

0 x
    James

Re: father gambling

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:52 am

I'm not sure that substituting one form of gambling for another as mentioned above is necessarily the best idea.

Although, I suppose arguably bingo is probably one of the least addictive forms of gambling out there, the problem is though that these bingo sites also allow players to wager on slots, of course, as many people here know, this is where the money goes.

I don't know if it would work, but there are free to play sites out there, I guess this could be a way of experiencing the thrill without risking the money...

Have you tried talking to him? Perhaps you could offer to take some of his income from him and pay bills/living expenses directly for him to avoid him getting into financial trouble?

These situations are always difficult, may you have strength!
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”