Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesday from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Concerned for Friend with Pokies Addiction

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Irene

Concerned for Friend with Pokies Addiction

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi I have a friend that has a pokies addiction, she has recently started playing again, and as she is now on a pension and has high medication bills each fortnight, I know she will get into hardship really quickly this time, as she has been borrowing off other girlfriends and not paying it back, I recently found out quite by accident that she is regularly going to the club to gamble, I am not sure if I should inform her family as they paid out thousands the last time to get her out of trouble, and I know they are all struggling now themselves, should I tell them or approach her myself?
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

RE: Concerned for Friend with Pokies Addiction

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi Irene,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for raising this....it is a complex situation with no easy answers.... what does strike me about your post is the weight of needing to do something to help your friend and those closest to her! I'm wondering what it is like for you to sit with this dilemma?

Has anyone else on the forum been faced with this sort of dilemma? How did you deal with it?

Irene, if you feel it would be helpful to talk with a gambling counsellor about this, please don't hesitate to call gamblers helpline on 1800 858 858 or you could chat with a counsellor online by logging in at: https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/login/

Let us know how you go...

Noa
    0 x
    Irene

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Noah, I took your advise and rang the gambling counselor, and they advised me to make an appointment with my friend and approach her on the subject of her gambling, they also gave me some good points to raise with her , like face to face counseling etc., so I will do that as soon as I can.....thank you for you advice, I will let you know how it turns out.....regards Irene
    0 x
    Angelina.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi there Irene, did you get a chance to talk to your friend?
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”