Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • When you don't know what else to do, turn to the Internet!

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Sheri1

When you don't know what else to do, turn to the Internet!

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:30 pm

I started and restarted this topic a hundred times today. My partner has a gambling problem.

Friday arvo I was at work, and when I got home he was acting all secretive and fiddling with his phone. I asked him what he was doing, and he was using one of the many online gambling apps. I curse the day these things were invented! I knew he had no money, and we don't share finances, so when I questioned, I found out he'd taken money out of my account. By midnight he had additionally taken money out of his credit card and gone over the limit by a grand or so. By 2am he had spent the money that his mates had given him for a bucks he was organising for Saturday. I only found this out on sat am when he woke me up and sheepishly asked me for money to fund the bloody bucks.

It is now Tuesday, I had to work all Sunday as well as the usual work week so haven't had a chance to speak to him regarding his blow out, plus he was very hungover and I knew I'd get nowhere. Just got back from work and found him on Sportsbet online again!!! He has 50c left in his account and 'can't you just leave me for an hour to play this, I'm not spending heaps'. That's not the point!!!! ARRRGH!

I have been very patient and understanding and supportive. I understand this is not something that is easily controlled but this just takes the cake. I tried to suggest that we do something fun instead of him gamble and he just screamed at me.

Thanks for reading my vent. I'm not even sure where my head is at at the moment.

Yours, furiously folding laundry.
    0 x
    Keeton

Re: When you don't know what else to do, turn to the Interne

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

I take my hat off to you Sheri1 for being so understanding about it all. I know it can be very frustrating for you that he continues to gamble even when it is causing harm. As a problem gambler i can I ask has he admitted that he has a problem or is he denying it because that can be a big first step for him and for you as well. may i also suggest that the first thing you do is take care of yourself first because thats what you need to worry about first. Protect your finance in any way, get rid of credit cards and don't give him any of your money because i can tell you from experience he will only go and gamble it. Maybe suggest he see a councellor or even ring the helpline on 1800 858 858. you can also ring them yourself and they give you some much needed support that you need.

Good luck with it and all the best,

Keeton
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: When you don't know what else to do, turn to the Interne

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Sheri,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties stemming from your partner's gambling. It is a really frustrating situation and I would agree with Keeton that it's essential you look after yourself (and your own finances). He may not be ready to seek help, but you can get support at any time from the Gambler's Helpline.

All the best,
    Charlotte
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”