Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Desperate

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Kaity

Desperate

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:10 pm

My partner keeps gambling.. his also started taking drugs... he gambled today... he took some money that wasnt his and gambled it all. Its got to the point now where he is desperate and stealing from loved ones I don't know what to do anymore... he refuses to get help. Even today i tried to talk to him about getting help but he just walked away
    0 x
    Dave68

Re: Desperate

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:36 pm

That's tough..and so hard for you as you know he has the problem but his actions suggest he's denying it...or hiding from you because he knows it's a huge problem.

Might just have to have it in the open, maybe try and arrange a counselling session with you both. Being here can help, there are others who have had a partner gamble. That's something i can't really relate to much though, my gambling was only my own, and i have had no partner to also drag down with this problem. Stay strong, maybe write a letter and leave it for him, may be more effective than a message or phone call if he's vetting calls. Good luck whatever happens..
    0 x
    GameChanger (facilitator)

Re: Desperate

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Kaity,

Thanks for letting us know about what's going on which sounds incredibly difficult for you right now. I'm essentially echoing Dave68's excellent advice to perhaps see a counsellor or write a letter. What makes this situation more difficult is that you can clearly see that there's a problem, but he seems very much in denial.
    In situations like this, it is crucial that you are supported as much as possible. If you can, let choice friends and family know about your what you're dealing with, book in and speak with a counsellor just yourself to get some professional advice and support through this difficult time.
    Keep posting and let us know about what's been going on, open yourself to the support from other members who can empathise too.
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”