Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Family really suffers

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Mel

Family really suffers

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:53 am

Gamblers dont realise how much they hurt their families.
    0 x
    Amanda

Re: Family really suffers

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Mel,

I have to disagree with you comment, I don't speak for all but there is not one day that goes by I don't think about my family, how much they suffered or are suffering from my stupid actions. I don't pity myself I don't feel sorry for myself I feel sorry them. I stole and lied to my parents. I had to admit to myself I needed change and I know it's stupid but at the time I was so caught up in my own fantasy world I thought I could get away with anything.

My family including my sibling they have disowned me, it's been 77 days since I told them and since my last gamble Maybe one day they will allow me back into their lives. All I can do try but everyday I miss them and hate myself for the pain and wonder what they are going through.
    0 x
    GameChanger (facilitator)

Re: Family really suffers

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:08 am

Dear Mel,

Thank you for your recent post and for letting us know your thoughts on how relevant relationships with friends and family are to gamblers. What is your personal experience of gambling? Have you witnessed it's destructive nature on a personal level? There seems to be a hostility to gambling and to gamblers, is this something that you've discussed with others? It could be helpful to talk further about your thoughts and feelings. If not to a counsellor for instance, then on this forum as a way of rebounding your concerns to actual gamblers and allowing them to provide feedback. Feel free to Private Message me as a counsellor if you're looking for alternative ways of airing your concerns.
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”