Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My mum has a gambling addiction

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Bubba

My mum has a gambling addiction

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi everyone I am new here but I really need some support. I just found out my mum has gambled $11 000 of my credit card. It has really devastated me and I don't know what to do. I really live my mum. I had leant her money in the past but only small amount which she paid back. She had my credit card and I said she could use it to pay a bill of $1000 as long as she paid it back. She would usually ask me if she could use money but stopped asking and so I thought things were okay until I found out she had taken out $11 000 dollars from my credit card over 6 months. I questioned her about it and she said she had to spend it on kids and she keeps losing money so used the money to replace it. But everyday she goes to the pokies and the horses and sometimes I don't see her all day. I think she is lying to me about the money and she has gambled it. I feel really upset and our relationship is strained because I am so angry with her and devastated that she would use me in such a way. I joined this forum because I want to know what to do to help my mum and myself and maybe repair the relationship between us. I feel like she doesn't really care about me at all and I don't understand why she would even take the money without asking. I am devastated. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks hope everyone is well!
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Re: My mum has a gambling addiction

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Bubba,
    Welcome to the forum! I'm Noah, one of the facilitators here - I hope you'll find this a supportive place.
    It can be really tough when someone that you love and trust starts to behave in ways that are out of character and that you don't understand. On one hand you want to help and on the other hand it can be hard to see through the hurt and the anger. Wondering if anyone else on the forum can relate to these feelings or Bubba's story?

Bubba, in terms of accessing help - this can be very tricky territory to navigate. If you wanted to you could make an anonymous call to gamblers helpline to talk through the issue and to work out what the next step might be whether that is support for you to manage this or support for your Mum. You can call Gamblers Helpline anytime day or night 1800 858 858.

Keep in touch here - we are here to support each other!

Noah
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”