Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Buying Virtual Points using real money

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Tony

Buying Virtual Points using real money

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and the gambling helpline and I want to stop gambling on a game by EA Sports called FIFA 15 for the Sony Playstation. In this game, there is a mode called Ultimate Team where you can play games to earn coins and once you've earned enough, you can open 1 pack or get rewards for completing tournaments which are mostly coins or sometimes a pack. The other way is to buy FIFA Points through the Playstation Store to open packs to get the best players in your team as quickly as possible. You can see how this is gambling because once you buy a pack and get a good player (after spending half your FIFA Points mind you), it makes you think that you can get something more or better! The lure of this is what is making it more difficult to give up!

I have had this issue back in FIFA 14 and had an argument with my wife about it and I promised to stop buying packs. In FIFA 15 however, I have started again and this time even bought FIFA Points for my son from time to time and it has gotten out of hand and I want to stop!

It costs quite a bit of money and to give you an example of how much these FIFA Points cost on the Playstation Store for 12,000 of them (which is the "Best Value" one) is $150.95AUD. Other amounts vary and the likelihood of getting a rare well known player like Bale, Messi or Ronaldo for example are very low. I have bought a lot of points and I don't think it matters how much I have spent (It does hurt knowing though), it matters how this will and already has affected my family. This is the main reason I want to stop and I have been hiding it from my wife and lying to her that I haven't spent any at all. I have told her a couple of times I have bought FIFA Points for our son as well as for myself, but that only accounts for about a quarter of what I have actually spent!

I need help and this is why I have come to the forums to seek help as well as complete my badges for what I want to achieve. I also want to be able to explain it to my wife without the screaming and anger that will come from telling her as it's the lying and hiding she is not fond of.

I am open as to how I can go about stopping myself from buying any more FIFA Points and I have taken the first step of joining a gym (and going to it of course) just so I can keep my mind occupied as well as writing a long letter of how I stuffed it up again after our discussion last year over the same thing where I promised I wouldn't do it again. I think it mainly stems from me being bored when I get home from work and well this is what I have to fix now and by going to the gym, at least that's a start! Maybe I can sell the game so the temptation won't be there!

What do you guys think?
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: Buying Virtual Points using real money

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:32 am

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your first post. It's great that you're seeking support for this as it seems to be having a significant impact on you and your family. It does seem that the game you're playing involves gambling and risk, and that you have become engaged in 'chasing losses'. This forum is a good place to get support - you can continue to share your story, ask questions, and read other people's post, all of which can be very helpful.

It sounds like you're beginning to think about alternate activities for when you're bored, which is great. Going to the gym is a good way of occupying yourself and distracting from the FIFA game. Good on you for taking these steps in making change and let us know how you get on :)

All the best,
    Charlotte (moderator)
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”