Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • what support is available for family members who have a gambler in the family???

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    tugba

what support is available for family members who have a gambler in the family???

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 am

hi my ddad is a serious gambler for 25 years and my mum is looking for any support the government offers for her like financially? as she wants to divorce my dad now and recover her situation for her children of 4 kids....
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

RE: what support is available for family members who have a gambler in the family???

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 am

Hi Tugba,

Welcome to the forum! It's good to hear from you as having a parent with a gambling problem can be very stressful and it sounds like you guys have been living with it for a long time. You asked about support for your mum. Most states and territories offer free confidential counselling support and financial counselling to family. The online counsellors here and via the email support will be able to provide details for her local agency...she just needs to let the counsellor know where she lives. They can also talk a bit about what to expect if you think that could be helpful....Some of the community members here may also be able to offer some advice around their experiences too.

Can I also ask how you are going with all of this as it sounds like there is a lot going on for your family right now?

Take care and stay in touch

Anna
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”