Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • My son gamling

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Michelle2

My son gamling

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:20 am

My 21 year old son is gambling every cent he has and trying to get money of me he just left for work and asked for money I said no he called me horrible names and said he will die What do I do he is borrowi g money of everyone when he gets paid its nearly all gone and what he has left he gambles then expects me to look after him im on my own I have noone.
    1 x
    BriM

RE: My son gamling

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Michelle

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time with your son. It's no wonder you feel alone and in despair. I'm wondering whether it might be handy for you to call the helpline on 1800 858 858 to speak to a counsellor. They will be able to provide you with some support and some tips for coping with your son's behaviour. I'm worried that you may not feel as though you have support. It's equally important for you to look after yourself as well as your son, and in fact once you feel supported yourself you may find it easier to support your son.

Regardless of whether you call the helpline or not Michelle, I do hope you keep posting on here. Perhaps you could reach out to Anna1 (you can search via members) and maybe send her a private message. I know she has had difficulties with her son too and I'm sure she'd be willing to talk to you

Let me know how you go

Bri
    0 x
    Michelle2

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Thank you Bri, I called the number and spoke to an amazing lady counselor yesterday and she gave me a phone number of a Gambling place at Bondi here in NSW I have an appointment with them Saturdayi cannot wait. My son is being so verbally abusive because im saying no for money he does scare me. Thank You very much again.Michelle2
    0 x
    Angelina.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:47 am

Dear Michelle,

Good on you for taking this step and wonderful to see you here.

In support of Bri I am very sorry to hear about your son. Sounds like a very stressful situation and there is nothing worse than feeling like you are hurting your children or when your children are in pain.

Stand by your word and maintain firm boundaries, if possible. And Michelle, if he becomes aggressive, remember you can contact the police. I know that calling the police can be potentially very damaging for your relationship, but there will be time to heal after the crisis period is over. He will surely understand and process all of this once he is in a better place. Right now your priority is safety with regard to protecting your assets and yourself.

Good luck

Warm regards

Angelina
    0 x
    wen

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi my sonwho is 21 is also a gambler. He will not get help and it does not help that a lot of his friends gamble as well, the only difference being they know when to stop, my son doesn't. When I ask him to talk to someone about this problem he refuses. He too spends all his money and then tries to make myself or husband feel guilty. He tried using the guilty trip on us by saying he's sorry and he is going to hurt himself, so it makes us as parents worry and feel guilty that we are not doing enough. He has two younger brothers and I hate to think of what this is doing to them. When he is has gambled and lost all his money he turns into this other person, and it makes me quite scared to see him like that it is almost like he has a split personality. What do you do when they won't get help? Self exclusion doesn't work as they just find a TAB to go to that is not on the list. It is so hard when every second commercial on television is about betting and it makes it sound so easy and like so much fun, why don't they show people the true effect it has on the person gambling and the people around them. I live in Melbourne and don't know where to go for help for him. It is hard, but know that you are not the only parent out there going through this.
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi Wen,

I'm sorry to hear that you and you're son are going through such a rough time

It's a really good question 'What do you do when they don't get help'. It's certainly not clear cut and I guess the only person who can really change his behaviour is your son. But there are some things you can do to make sure you are not enabling his current gambling problem in any way and to encourage him to make changes. Gambling counsellors can help to guide you through this. There is free counselling available for parents of kids who have a gambling problem. Here is a link for you to access the closest gambling counsellor in your area: http://www.responsiblegambling.vic.gov. ... counsellor

Here's some basic advice also about how to approach someone with a gambling problem in case you find it useful https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/c ... w-to-help/

Hang in there!!

Keep in touch and let me know how you go...

Warm regards,

Noa
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Wed May 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi Wen,

Just wondering how you're going?

Noah
    0 x
    Maria3

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi there,

Just need some advise, my son is 15 years of age, he thinks all the time about money and thinks gambling is the best way for him to get rich, he's ben talking about gambling since he was 12. A year ago he asked me if I could open for him an account with a bank to invest some money in the stock market, I thought at that time this is wonderful and I did open the account, he put most of his money and I gave him some of mine, we have lost so much money on it. Then he started asking me to open an account in sportsbet, I always said no, until last week when I did the biggest mistake I did open the account thinking that if he loses he could understand what gambling is, and told him, if you lose the money then that's it, that account will be closed, he said all excited YES, well he bet on some games and he lost his money, when I remind him about the deal, he got upset as he wanted to keep putting more money in order to get his money back and probably make more, I've been firm saying NO, he has not talked to me for the past 4 days and he is pretty angry! I do not know what to do as when I explain to him about the risks of gambling he thinks I am a negative person that can not see a positive side and of course he thinks I'm crazy when I said gambling is addicted and he is addicted. Any advice???
    0 x
    POPEYE

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:05 pm

0 x
    Maria3

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:33 pm

thanks for the advise! and definitely the gambling doesn't come from our family and I know his friends and none of them are even thinking of gambling. This is him, he wants to be a millionaire and he cares too much about money, will see how we go, cheers
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”