Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • MUM FEELING LOST

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Possum and Son

MUM FEELING LOST

Sun May 23, 2021 12:12 pm

Hi,

I have just discovered that my son has a gambling addiction. I was developing suspicions as he has not been going out with friends and said about having no money. I have spoken to him and he has agreed he has a problem but like many gamblers, he thinks he can just quit. I am so scared of him developing depression and committing suicide. This morning I had access to his phone and I checked his bank account and his bet365 account. I have cut up the Bet365 credit card and permanently deactivated the account. I told him what I did and he just said ok. I feel bad for snooping but what do you do when you know he is not telling the truth. On is bank transactions, it showed other betting companies but he did not have the apps on his phone so I am assuming that he accesses them through the internet.

Any advice on how to get my son to get help would be appreciated.
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Re: MUM FEELING LOST

Sun May 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Hi @Possum and Son,

First of all, welcome to the forums. It's great that you've sought support.

I'm really sorry to hear you've discovered your son has a gambling addiction. Understandably you're worried. You shouldn't feel bad, you've acted having his best interests at heart. I want to congratulate you for the actions you've taken so far. Although it's not easy at all doing the tough part of the parenting job, you've done well in acting as soon as you've realised what's happening and not enabling him to continue.

Many members on the forums have suggested the "Love over addiction" podcast. You might find it useful to helpful understand a bit more what's happening for you both with this situation. I also recommend you have a read at our Helping others section. Other members that have been in the same circumstance might have some advice: @Flatstanley, @Sad parent, @MaggieM.

If you would like to speak to someone, you can call 24/7 our counsellors for free on 1800 858 858.

Hope this helps.

Please reach out at anytime, we're here for you.
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”