Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • Lost and confused..

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Concerned Partner

Lost and confused..

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 pm

My partner is struggling with what I would define as a pokie addiction - he has always played them on a regular basis HOWEVER lately has been playing them daily and it is starting to have a negative affect on our relationship financially, emotionally and physically.

I have tried reaching out to him one-on-one but it is always met with harsh criticism and ends in an argument.

I feel like every week the same storyline plays out and I am at my wits end trying to be supportive without feeling betrayed, confused, irrate, frustrated and hurt.

What I was wondering is what techniques people have found effective with overcoming a pokie addiction?

0 x
    David2

RE: Lost and confused..

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 am

Sounds like he is in denial. I don't even gamble every week and still consider myself to have a full blown addiction. But even not being in denial it still is a long road to recovery. But it's the first step. He has to want to help himself.
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

RE: Lost and confused..

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi Concerned partner,

have you ever spoken to a counsellor about this? If you're interested and you live in Australia, I can give you more info about free gambling counselling for partners of people who gamble.... or you can call 1800 858 858 and speak to a telephone counsellor who can talk through some options... anyways.. let me know and happy to provide some info

Noah
    Concerned Partner (4/11/2013)

My partner is struggling with what I would define as a pokie addiction - he has always played them on a regular basis HOWEVER lately has been playing them daily and it is starting to have a negative affect on our relationship financially, emotionally and physically.

I have tried reaching out to him one-on-one but it is always met with harsh criticism and ends in an argument.

I feel like every week the same storyline plays out and I am at my wits end trying to be supportive without feeling betrayed, confused, irrate, frustrated and hurt.

What I was wondering is what techniques people have found effective with overcoming a pokie addiction?
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”