Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Online Gambling

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Michelle75

Online Gambling

Sun May 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Hi There,
    I have a 23yr old son with an online gambling problem. We are at the point of telling him to leave the house as he cant see the problem.
    Iam wanting to know if there is a national register of some kind where his name can be flagged if he tries to set up an online gambling account.
    Today I was able to get him to sign a self exclusion form for Sportsbet (the main source) but worried he will find another online outlet.
    Any advice or help would be appreciated. :)
    1 x
    HelpfulBee

Re: Online Gambling

Sun May 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi @Michelle75

Welcome to the forums! We're really fortunate here to have a lot of valuable experience here from people who are stopping gambling.

A national register does not exist for self-exclusion from gambling. However, it may be helpful to download gambling blocking software and filters on his devices (e.g. phone, tablet, computer) so that gambling websites and advertisements are blocked. This may make it a little less tempting. Some software/apps to look at are: GamBlock, GamBan, and BetFilter. They all work a little differently so he might need to read up on which one would be most helpful for his situation.

I would love to hear what other ideas everyone has on this though!
    0 x
    AGHS

Tue May 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi, I have just been reading that the federal government has/is establishing a National Self-exclusion register.....follow this link to the legislation. Might be worthwhile to check with your local MP as to accessing this service??
    https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019A00127
    2 x
    AGHS

Mon May 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi Online Gambling, not sure if you are aware.........
    Banks are now offering gambling blocking solutions. Blocks can be applied to credit and debit cards. Primary card holders, additional card holders, people who hold a Power of Attorney, and people who have third-party access to another person’s internet banking can all apply for a block. Might be worth a phone call.
    4 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”