Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Rehab Suggestions and Feedback

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    sazr

Rehab Suggestions and Feedback

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:54 am

Hello, I'm trying to research rehab places that help problem gamblers. Are you guys aware of any places in NSW and how the payment works? Ie, does medicare or health insurance cover any of the costs? How effective has rehab been for your family members?

I called the hotline about this but they said theres no rehab they can recommend because the places they know only focus on alcohol and drug addiction, are there really no rehab places for gambling which IMO is such a big problem in Australia?

I'm trying to get my brother to go to rehab, we try talking to him but he just shuts down and theres no way he even wants to discuss anything. We are kind of at our wits end, if we cant convince him to go seek help we need professionals who have the ability to get through to him.
    1 x
    Frank321

Re: Rehab Suggestions and Feedback

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:24 am

Hi Sazr,

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Contact a counsellor through this website and they should have some more information for you.
    In my experience your brother has to accept he has a problem and needs help or rehab will not be successful.

I wish you all the best
    1 x
    gzy3

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi @sazr, I see it has been very stressful and difficult for you.

I have not heard of rehab for gambling addiction unfortunately.
    If he is denial and resistant in seeking help, as a first step his family members are also able to access gambling counselling at your local gambler's help services.
    It is a government funded, free service.
    You may get some advice on how to cope with this situation from a counsellor there.

Please call Gambling Helpline on 1800 858 858 to know where your local service is. The helpline also can make a referral to the service for you too.
    Take care.
    0 x
    Chunkyquitter

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:32 pm

I used st Vincent’s gambling councilling outside the hospital in the city. They were free and awesome. It also has grief councillors there so people don’t know why your walking into the building.
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”