Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Feeling Lost, Angry and Betrayed

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    ACP

Feeling Lost, Angry and Betrayed

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi All, I'm new here. I found out about 2 months ago my husband had quite a bad addiction, he had spent what we had saved and made from our house sale well over $200k and on the verge of suicide. We had to pull my kids out of their school, and we have a block of land sitting waiting for us to build our dream home sitting without a house because we can't get a loan, I couldn't understand why until I looked deeper into our bank statements and saw thousands and thousands disappearing from our account. This year was the year we were meant to be more financially free, now I have debt collectors chasing me, we are living each day at a time. My husband lost his job because of his addiction due to making some very silly decisions out of desperation, for a short period of time he was driving at night to get a small income so we managed to put food on the table. I only work 3 days and can't go fulltime due to afterschool fees and holiday fees as we have no family help. I am pleased to say my husband now has a fulltime job and very happy there, he is also driving at night to cover off losses and make mortgage payments on our empty block of land until we hopefully sell it. I feel so sad and angry. I love my husband and I'm trying so hard to be understanding but I can't help but feel resentment and bitterness of what we had and the financial pain it has caused us. How can I move on?
    0 x
    TimTam

Re: Feeling Lost, Angry and Betrayed

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:47 am

Hi @ACP

Sorry to her you are going through this, I can read your pain in the words you wrote.
    Its great things are starting to improve with your husband. Did he manage to see a gambling counsellor to learn to control his gambling?
    There is free face to face gambling counselling for him, as well as you. You are able to see someone to talk to privately about everything. You are also able to access free financial counselling, which will help with those debt collectors.
    What you are feeling is normal, to feel betrayed and hurt. Talking about it with your supports will be beneficial through this time.

Wishing you well,

Tim Tam
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”